Stinky rubber boots!

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
fatbob240

Stinky rubber boots!

Postby fatbob240 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:15 am

I purchased a new pair of Redhead rubber boots last winter and I've spent countless hours trying to get rid of the strong rubber smell. I've scrubbed them in baking soda and water, scent killler detergent, sprayed them with scent killer, stored them with earth scent waffers, left them outside in the elements for a month and they still STINK! Any suggestions...other than buying another pair of $130 rubber boots!

duckunder

RE: Stinky rubber boots!

Postby duckunder » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:22 am

maybe just let them outside as much as you can......... Just remember, I would rather have the smell of rubber in the woods, than human scent.....

fixedblade

Postby fixedblade » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:58 am

Spray um down every time before you go to the stand.  Works for us. 

eagle eye

Postby eagle eye » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:49 pm

My self my two sons and my wife hunted successfully with these same boots for 3 years and never had a problem with deer smelling the rubber. As you have described I was skeptical of the smell and spent countless hours trying to rid the smell. I do not think the rubber is an offensive smell to wildlife and they do not perceive its presence as a threat. I have now gone to a Leather and condura snake boot because of the areas I hunt and spray down prior to walking in as well as in the stand
 good luck
John Wojtas
Enjoying the moment and always striving to enhance our hunting heritage

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:28 pm

I just got a new pair of rubber boots this year as well.  What I did is cut some pine branches and cut them into smaller pieces.  I then put them in a garbage bag and put the boots in the bag with the branches.  I keep the boots in the bag all the time and keep the bag tied shut.  The smell of the pine has overwhelmed the smell of the rubber.  It may not have gotten rid of the smell, but it certainly helped mask it.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:30 pm

NOPE! They're factory rejects. Get yourself a new pair, and then those to me. I'll use them for cleaning the barn. [;)]

I'll even pay the postage! [:D]

Seriously, next time get the new Scent-Loc exterior ones. If you order now, you can get the special 1500 degree dryer you need to reactivate them with for only another $1845.00.....SUCH A DEAL!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:37 pm

Woodsie is such a kidder![:D]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:06 am

Well, think of it this way, you use rubber gloves to keep your scent away when working around scrapes, rubs, etc....And they smell, like, well, rubber!  I have a pair that I use for early season, and late season.  Non-insulated and insulated.  I spray them down every time I go into the field, keep them in plastic bags...Everything I do with my regular clothes.  I've never had a problem with the smell...Not that I know of anyways. 
QDM!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:03 am

Not a clue! I bought some to that still smell.. I get winded everytime Ive worn them this year. But last year it was fine I dont get it? And Im about 99.9999% sure its the boots that are what the deer are smelling. Im waring different boots tomorrow, so Ill find out for sure.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:16 pm

Maybe you just smell! [:'(]  lol 
QDM!

Next

Return to Best Practices