Stinky rubber boots!

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Woods Walker

RE: Stinky rubber boots!

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:38 pm

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Maybe you just smell! [:'(]  lol 

Nahh....you're just confusing him with JPH....[:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

fatbob240

Postby fatbob240 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:51 am

Believe it or not, I was told by an old trapper to use vinegar and I wiped my boots down with some apple cider vinegar....no stink! It totally wiped out that strong rubber smell. There was a slight hint of vinegar, but I sprayed my boots down with scent killer afterwards and they were scent free. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:36 am

Deer don't seem to mind the smell of rubber. Not around here at least. I do however, spray down the bottom of my boots before heading out. Also, try putting a box of baking soda in the container that you store your boots in. Shld take the smell out.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:56 am

ORIGINAL: fatbob240

I purchased a new pair of Redhead rubber boots last winter and I've spent countless hours trying to get rid of the strong rubber smell. I've scrubbed them in baking soda and water, scent killler detergent, sprayed them with scent killer, stored them with earth scent waffers, left them outside in the elements for a month and they still STINK! Any suggestions...other than buying another pair of $130 rubber boots!
  I dont like that rubber smell either, I always smell the boots in the store to see how strong the smell is before I buy them. They actually make Rubber boots that are designed not to smell like rubber. I don't think the rubber smell is traveling too far from your boots, so personaly I wouldn't worry. But if your a scent freak, then I can see why your conserned with the scent.  You may want to try sageweed , you can smell it a mile away if you step on it in the wild.  You could also probley use mint, to mask the smell, if you can stand it.  Walnut husks could probley cover the scent as well.  I always throw a pinch or two of baking soda in my boots, works great for smelly boots. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

fatbob240

Postby fatbob240 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:37 am

Well, I've tried all suggestions here and some from another web site and I got 'busted' again. Good thing it was only a small five point, but the boots are going to be used for ice fishing instead. I've never had a problem in the past, even when deer were down wind of me (I'm a scent free fanatic) but I believe the strong rubber scent has had a negative impact on my hunts this year. Back to my old stand bys... Thanks for everybody's help!
Goal: 1 shot= 1 kill

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:07 am

Most tuck their pants in their rubberboots...try unblosuing them and letting your pantlegs over the boots..this may contain the smell some

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:16 am

Hm, well, I can honestly say the rubber boots I have are straight from the store, had the smell, and I just sprayed them down with scent killer every time I went out.  I don't think I've ever been 'busted' because of them, but I could be wrong.

I use ScentBlocker, so I pull my pants over the tops of my rubber boots, so the scent that does escape from my feet, gets sucked up by the carbon lining.  But, as far as the outside smell...Not sure.  Maybe you just stink a little more now than you used to?  :)  j/k  I guess try different boots and see what happens....Have to compare apples to apples.
QDM!

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:34 pm

i was always told to take your pants legs and put them over your boots and not tuck them in to your boots!
you figure that if you wear scent lok pants or any other scent stopping pants they would do their job and keep the scent from your boots from escaping or at least most of it! thats jsut my opinion! and it has worked for me and my boots jjust stink cause i have bad foot odor! lol but the deer heavent spooked cause of my boots or feet! lol
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

fatbob240

Postby fatbob240 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:23 am

I had one scent lok layer inside the boots and one on the outside (I told you I was a fanatic) and I could still smell the strong  rubber smell. I switched back to my old Rocky's and I had three deer down wind of me for over twenty minutes and they never looked up once. Well, at least I have a nice set of ice fishing boots! [:D]
Goal: 1 shot= 1 kill

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:25 pm

Case closed...To each their own!!!!

Glad you're back on track now....
QDM!

Previous

Return to Best Practices