flashlight or no flashlight?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Goose

flashlight or no flashlight?

Postby Goose » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:13 pm

For those of you who hunt mornings and get there nice and early do you use a flashlight? I don't use a light on my way in because of the obvious reason of spooking game, but i probably make more noise not using one than if I did. So is better to make a little noise and not use one or use one and be more silent? Whats your theory on this?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JOEL

RE: flashlight or no flashlight?

Postby JOEL » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:14 pm

i use a headlamp with a red lens .i can still see and its not supposed to spook game.better than crashing around in the dark.those regular white lights you can see miles away.on opening morning its weird seeing all these beams of light off in the woods.im sure it freaks the deer out
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:41 pm

Ill always take a light with me. I wont always use it, but if I need it, it's right there for me to use. You never know if your going to get lost, or shoot a deer in the evening and need it to find blood. 

A little tip when using a light is: Keep the light to the ground. Deer wont see it as much. Also you can put tacks in the bottom of tree's and use the light to find your stand that way. People are more opt to finding a stand with tacks right in the middle of a tree than on the bottom of it.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:45 pm

If I know where I'm going exactly and I can take almost a direct route to it on a logging road, etc, then I won't use a light.  If I have to walk through the woods and not on a trail I may or may not use a light.  I try to stay away from the regular light (white) color.  Deer tend to see the front part of the light spectrum (Red Orange Yellow, Green, Blue Indigo Violet), better known as ROYGBIV, better than the back portion so I will use a light with a lens that's at the beginning of that, Red and Green mostly.  It isn't as bright but you can at least see where you are going and apparently deer can't 'see' it as well.  Strange but true...

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:54 pm

I use a light on the way to my stand during gun seasons, however, I don't when I'm bow hunting.  Basically for safety purposes.  That's the only reason.  Unless there is snow on the ground, the deer are going to spook if they are near by anyway, I'd just rather get to my stand and up it alive.

Edit:  Sorry, corrected a spelling on spook, if the deer "spoke" to me, I'd be a little concerned.

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:56 pm

I use a flash light if I go in the woods before day break and I make alot of noise going in because if you try to walk slow and don't make noise then you are a treat but if you make noise you are going to spoke game but the does will turn around try to smell and maybe even follow your sent to the stand I busted a nice buck last year during muzzle loader season he was following my sent to my stand he came across the creak and boom he life was put to an end. Buts only my 2c worth

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:22 pm

I use a flashlight occasionally. If the moon lights up the woods I tend to just go by the moonlight and not use my flashlight. However, if it's a dark moon and I'm going to a stand deeper in the woods off the main trail or road I like to use my flashlight so I don't make a ton of noise.
Kyle

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:23 pm

I also use a headlamp with a red light. I'm not sure about the not spooking game(I've not heard that before), I use it because it doesnt effect your "night vision". When you shine a (white) flashlight and then turn it off, you cant see s**t for a few seconds until your eyes adjust. With the red light you dont get that. And also, if your in fairly thick cover, that (white) tends to reflect back at you, making it harder to see, the red dont do that.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:34 pm

I have been fortunate enough to have hunted the same property for many years and know the layout well. I have never used a light walking into my stand as i never had a need for it. I knew where i was going and when to step over the logs[:D][:D].

I try and avoid light all together.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:52 pm

Never heard that about red lights before.  I suppose I can see the scientific reasoning behind that.  Dang, I might have to mess around with some of my flashlights and try that out.  Good idea.

Next

Return to Best Practices