flashlight or no flashlight?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
GTOHunter

RE: flashlight or no flashlight?

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:28 pm

I've been using the small LED headlight for the past several years and really like it a lot,your hands are free if you need to cut limbs by your stand or trail path or to use when climbing up into a ladder stand.It has the strap to go on your head and it has 4 different settings,1st is the beam white light,then a flood light,then the beam and flood light together and finally the Red light for using to get to your stand in the dark undetected.Like most I usually walk to my regular hunting stands in the dark but if I'm hunting during Rifle Season or on our Lease Property I like to have a light on so I don't get shot accidently! [:@] [8|]

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:01 pm

I try not to whenever possible, but I have to use a light, I use a small AA  incandesent flashlight with almost dead batteries (spares in my pack of course), and I cup the end of the light with my hand and only let a sliver of light shine through my fingers. Just enough to light my path. 

Xplorer

Postby Xplorer » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:11 am

Small light pointed at the gound keeps my noise down & other hunters aware of my presence. Would prefer not to be shot & from my expierence the deer don't seem to be spooked.

JBow

Postby JBow » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:44 am

My main objective, other than arrowing a Deer, is getting into my stand quickly and quietly.  I mark trails with reflective tacks and try to clear my routes as much as possible way before my actual hunts.  Some friends used to bust my chops because of the tacks, but I can get into some pretty thick spots(which is where I like to hunt)undetected with my system.  I don't always use the light.  Full moons usually require very little flashlight use.  When I do use the light, I keep it pointed down, half cupped in my hand.  If you chose the correct approach to your stand, you shouldn't be that close to your prey on the way in.  I would never walk through an open feed field in the dark, either coming or going.  There's always the chance of bumping a Deer no matter what, but if you're walking into the wind and taking care not to sound like a human, a lot of times they'll just walk around you.  If not, well, that's hunting.  You can't win them all. I'd rather have a safe, quiet approach using a flashlight rather than stumbling around in the dark trying to find my stand.  I've always said,If it's worth doing, It's worth doing right!
That applies to everything, right from the time you get up in the morning to the time you get back to your vehicle that evening.  This stuff isn't supposed to be easy.  That's what keeps me going(or should I say coming back).

Good Luck!
J-Bow
IF IT'S WORTH DOING, IT'S WORTH DOING RIGHT!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:16 am

Got to tell ya...may start rethinking the light thing.....crossing field on walk to stand  I heard a couple of deer across and down the road....having a bit of a scuffle...so I decide due to wind blowing from them to me to drop down and attach my drag to  my boot...Well one of what I think was those buck managed to clear the 500 or so feet between us....... I didn't hear him until he was about on top of me.....just enough time to bolt up and have a rather high pitched scream leave my mouth and shove my bow infront of me....It made a low gutteral noise as I heard him spin around...me now yelling hey hey hey....that was a fast and scarey walk to the stand......between being charged( not first time ) and knowing we have a growing bear population...I'll keep cleaning trails but turn on the mag light as well...use to be more afraid of getting sprayed be skunk...how things change

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:07 pm

I've changed my mind on this as well, Ill be using a small green streamlight next year for entering the woods.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:46 pm

I tell you what guys, a couple years ago I bought a small LED light that has 5 beams on it I think.  Red, green, white, etc...And it's one of the best investments I've bought.  It's based off the model that the military uses so it's very durable as well.  I can't remember the name of it off hand but when I go home I'll take a look and get back to you on that.  I want to say it's a 'torch...something.'  ...And the light on it, wow, is all I have to say.  Very bright!  Good for tracking, etc.  Also, the red and green will work well for walking in the morning or at night.  Never had any issues with deer being spooked with it!  Now it's bugging me that I can't remember it...Hm.  [8|]
QDM!

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:54 pm

For my first 20 or so years of deer hunting I wouldn't hear of using a flashlight, but now I am a little more educated and know it does not bother them if used right. I still go without most of the time but when I need it I hold my fingers over the lens so that just a sliver of light comes out and I never point it anywhere but down in front of where I am walking.

reKor11

Postby reKor11 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:00 am

Not sure if someone mentioned this already...  For those of you who don't have a red or green LED, just pick up some red or green celophane.  Cut it so it fits over the end of your existing flashlight and then secure it with a rubberband.  I usually double up with the layers, but you gotta play around to find the ideal light.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:27 pm

I never go into the woods without a flashlight. I'm in my stand 1.5-2 hours before legal light. I saw 14 deer in the area I hunt, and I have never gone into the area I hunt w/o a flashlight. In fact, until I just got a little smarter, I wore one of those big cumbersom white lights, without issue.
Now I have gone to a small green caplight.
I can move quieter, and safer with my light. I would rather trade bumping deer for a broken ankle caught in a deadfall.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices