flashlight or no flashlight?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Wanderer

RE: flashlight or no flashlight?

Postby Wanderer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:33 pm

It's hard to beat the old military TL-122 flashlight. It's been in use since 1944. Mine came with red,green,blue, and amber lenses besides the clear one. Spare lenses store in the extended base of the light along with a spare bulb. Current cost is about $10.00. Use the green or red lens going in and switch to clear lens for tracking/gutting. Uses 2 D batteries

wolf60

Postby wolf60 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:10 pm

I rarely use a flashlight. If I know my stand is going to be hard to find in the dark, I just wait until it is just light enough to see where I am going.You can be alot quieter and I rarely spook deer on my way in or out. The one excepyion is when I know there are other hunters in the area. Then I use one as a safety precaution. I don't want to be mistaken for a deer by some careless hunter. Even then I usually just point it up in the trees as I walk out. Hunt safe.  Frank

618DOG

Postby 618DOG » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:35 pm

I very rarely use a light walking in or out, but if I do need one I use a small single battery AA (I think it is a Rayovac from Wal-Mart, and only $5).  I cup it with my hand so I let just a tiny amount of light out.  This particular light has a rear pressure switch that can be turned to stay on, or can be set to only come on when I apply pressure to the end...when I need it.  I also only point at the ground so I have just barely enough light to see where I'm stepping.  Using it this way I don't think you can see the light much more than a few feet away.  If I can barely see it, a deer far enough to not spook from me walking definitely isn't going to see it.  I also take my time walking in and out.  I have learned that moving slowly I can control my noise much more effectively, and I don't get near as hot.  As we all know that will aid in scent control.  I also have a red lens headlamp if I need a handsfree operation at my stand.....One thing I should add is I always shine my light during gun season so I don't get killed.  There are people who will shoot an hour before first light if they see movement....it has happened before.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:23 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

For those of you who hunt mornings and get there nice and early do you use a flashlight? I don't use a light on my way in because of the obvious reason of spooking game

I keep a 3.5" multiple LED light with me which I rarely use on the trail & it won't get me in trouble with the NYS DEC agents who can be absolutely draconian about enforcing the No Artificial Light while hunting law. I really don't need one as I always use a clean trail, logging road or fire break road in route to stand, plus, I usually wait for snow to hunt.

As far as spooking the deer with a light ... I don't think so. If anything, I think they're attracted to it ... hence the DEC regulation against artificial light ... plus, why do you think those dumb animals always wait until you're right on top of them before they decide to cross in front of your vehicle?

The best evidence about artificial light are the countless National Geographic films I've seen where the photographers go out at night looking for animals using huge spot lights on their vehicles and much to my astonishment, none of the animals, whether Ungulates or Predators, have any reaction whatsoever.

So in the final analysis, I don't think your flashlight is going to bother the deer, one iota.
[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:54 am

Long ago my uncle told me when you go in the woods on opening day of gun season carry two flashlights.  One to see where you are going and one to shine on your face so that nobody shoots you.  I have modified that advise over the years to one flashight to see where I am going.  Nothing is worth getting shot.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Great question Goose.  I carry a multi-colored LED flashlight along, but rarely use it on the way in or on the way out.  I've hunted the same spots for so many years I basically know the routes in and out without it causing too many problems.  BUT, I have hunted unfamiliar ground before that friends have had and have used my flashlight.  I usually use the red or green light...Not sure how much truth there is to this, but those colors are supposed to spook deer less than a regular light. 

To fully answer your question, I think making noise or having a light goes about in the same category.  If deer are near, they are either going to see or hear you.  Maybe a cracked branch is less threatening than a light though? 
QDM!

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:37 am

I don't know if this is going to help the discussion any, but Angus and I were out for the Yute Hunt last weekend.  Sunday morning we got a late start and we were away from the house before I realized I had buried the flashlights in the bottom of the packs.  The moon was bright enough that it really didn't make any difference. We only had a few hundred yards to go, and we were in the middle of the property.

I'm not going to say we were exactly pussyfooting our way to the blind, but we weren't making all that much noise.  We were busted by two deer on the way.  I doubt flashlights would have made any difference.  This is an area where I've been busted several times in the past.  Deer like to bed there on occasion, and I've walked up to within a few yards of bedded deer with my flashlight on and only bumped them at the last moment.

For all the time I've spent in the woods over the years, I can truthfully say that I have never bumped deer with a flashlight that would have not been bumped otherwise.  On the other hand, I can truthfully say that I have never seen a deer carrying a flashlight (rimshot)

. . . but seriously, I read about guys getting shot being mistaken for game .  Hunter Orange does nothing in moonlight or pitch dark.  If for no other reason than that, I would suggest carrying a flashlight.

The other side of this happened on our way out Saturday night.  We were walking out the way we came in.  I had my flashlight on.  Angus did not.    We were almost out when Angus walked right into a barbed wire fence in the dark.  It didn't hurt him at all, but scared the snot out of him.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

fixedblade

Postby fixedblade » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:30 pm

Yep I use a red lamp or light as well and never shine it outwards just at the ground about three or four feet in front of me.

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:55 am

I use a small handheld led flashlight to get to my stand.   If I didn't, I would break a leg and or my neck getting there.  Our stands are in pretty thick swamp with very deep and uneven ground.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:30 am

I bought me a real nice flashlight from work. Its small,light, and bright. I can adjust the brightness to my liking. I use mine, but I keep it pointed to the ground or and an angle where a lot of light is not shining up. I have noticed the deer dont seem to be botherd by it at all.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices