Testing my spray scent control

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Wolf River Hunter

Testing my spray scent control

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:56 pm

My wife informed me that my favorite baseball cap had taken on an aroma all it's own and was time for the garbage can. I was about to pitch it for a new Bone Collector cap when I realized it would be a perfect test for my spray scent killer, the one that kills 99% of replicated human odor. Well, I sprayed it pretty good and the results were less than desirable. Left me wondering just how efective my scent killer really is. Am I wrong in thinking that the spray should have minimalized the funkiness?

hunt4fun

RE: Testing my spray scent control

Postby hunt4fun » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:06 pm

I sprayed my buddies socks with dead down wind because I couldn't stand to be in the same room with him they stunk so bad.  It worked almost instantly.  I read an article where a guy did some sort of scientific research on a few leading brands of scent killers and some home made concoctions made up of water baking soda and peroxide I believe.  Anyway, scent-a-way won I believe followed by primos silver xp.  Everything else was quite a ways behind as far as effectiveness.  You may want to try switching brands.  I will try to find the article and post a link.

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:12 pm

Hey, what do ya know.. It was on this site!  Go to the features, then the research section.  Go down a little ways and you will see the article, "The Best Way to Inhibit Your Scent".  It's a good article, so I would read the whole thing, but you can see how different sprays stacked up against each other as well as find a recepe for a home made spray if money is getting tight.

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:32 am

Thanks!

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:11 pm

[font="Tahoma"]Here's a link to the article - http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/article/the-best-way-to-inhibit-your-scent/[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:16 am

ORIGINAL: Wolf River Hunter

My wife informed me that my favorite baseball cap had taken on an aroma all it's own and was time for the garbage can. I was about to pitch it for a new Bone Collector cap when I realized it would be a perfect test for my spray scent killer, the one that kills 99% of replicated human odor. Well, I sprayed it pretty good and the results were less than desirable. Left me wondering just how efective my scent killer really is. Am I wrong in thinking that the spray should have minimalized the funkiness?

I think I'd use a different scent killer product.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

fixedblade

Postby fixedblade » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:18 am

I know this is an old post and I am a new member on the site and so far love what I am reading, very imformative.  I have used almost all of the brands out there and I do believe they all work for a certian amount of time, but all of them will stop working and the bacteria that causes the odor will return.

A buddy of mine bought a couple of bottles of stuff a few weeks back and i'm telling you right now it is by far the best stuff I have used ever.  Its name is BioExtreme and it is an all in one odor killer.  I mean you can wash your clothes, your body in the shower, spray down your clothes and use it in the field all from the same bottle not three or four like the others want you to buy.

I used part of mine to test it on stuff and it worked on gas, and smoke instantley and it did not come back I mean it was gone.  So far I have used on the stand this year three times and have yet to be busted and it saves money at the same time.

I have not washed my clothes yet but I am going to, and when I used it in the shower it did not suds up like others I have used but my hair was squeaky clean.  I have just used as it said to and sprayed my whole body down and the inside and outside of my hunting clothes and I am telling you this stuff works.

I am sold on it and wont be spending anymore money on the other stuff until somebody else comes out with one that will work everywhere like this stuff does and cost less...

check it out at www.bioextreme.net and see for yourself, like I said I have not been busted since I started using this stuff and I have always gotten busted using the others...

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:08 am

Primos Silver XP spray bottle tell you to test it by putting doe urine on cotton balls and then spraying your scent eliminator on it. That's the best way to tell which one works the best. When I did it, the urine I used was golden estrous from two years ago that had mostly broken down into ammonia, so it stunk AND burned your eyes. The Silver XP worked better than the Scent-a-Way. It basically eliminated like more than 95% of the scent. I absolutely swear by this stuff now.
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

Return to Best Practices