To Bottle or Not To Bottle?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
pickleguy

RE: To Bottle or Not To Bottle?

Postby pickleguy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:16 am

I will stop carrying a bottle when all you tree tinklers finish your research. Thanks for being the gunnie pigs. To pee or not too pee is the question. Young deer are courious to alot of smells, but I don't think it is worth the chance. If I want to gamble I play the lottery.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

metrx

Postby metrx » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:31 am

I agree with SKY.  It goes against everything I was taught and unless you are peeing out of the stand or in a scrape and seeing and killing "mature" bucks regularly, it needs further testing. 
Urine's main ingredient is amonia.  Amonia is also the by product of commercially bought deer lures that are past their "shelf life"...ever smell one you opened that was purchased from the previous season?  We wouldnt use those...would we?
Deer biologists say deer can smell thousands of times better than a human.  They can distinguish the difference between the urine of carnivores (a deer's natural predators) and omni/herbivores because the by product of their distinct diet is telltale in their urine (meat has high levels of protein/amino acids). 
Since I am currently at the top of the food chain and not even close to becoming a vegetarian I am not willing to experiment with this DURING the hunting season.  However, I am open minded to most anything.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:36 am

[font="Verdana"][/font]You all can do whatever makes you feel good. But I will just say that I stopped carrying a pee bottle about 15 years ago, and it has made NO difference in my success. In fact, it has been in this period of time that I have killed some of the biggest bucks I've ever killed, including a B&C book buck which I killed on the ground.The first few times that I tried peeing in scrapes, I was astounded at the results I got...FAR better than with any commerical colored amonia that I just forked over $10 for. The hormones that a male human has are the same ones that a buck deer has, and when they smell a "strangers" hormones, the local bucks get riled up from wondering, "Now just who in the hell is THIS SOB????" Or at least that's my theory.

I've also had numerous encounters with deer of ALL sexes and age classes (yes...that means mature bucks), on the ground at 10 yards and less ( I no longer hunt from trees, but I wander and sit on logs and the like with a ghillie suit, letting fly whenever the ugre strikes me(....and at 57 years old, that's VERY frequently, believe me!), and if I don't shoot, then they leave the area unaware of me.

I base what I do on 45 years in the woods, and personal experiences. Do as you will.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Proline

Postby Proline » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:39 am

I won't chance it. Bottle 4 me. We all now deer have the best sense of smell out there. I believe you are what you eat.  Drink a pot of coffee or eat a pile of asparagus and I guarantee your #1 dont smell normal to a deer.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:44 am

[font="Verdana"][/font]That may be true, but if they can, then they DON'T CARE.

I tell you what, before you dismiss it out of hand, why don't you TRY it first, like I did, and then come to your own conclusion?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:07 am

[font="Verdana"][/font]I wonder how many of you that won't put your own urine on the ground where you hunt also have no qualms about putting that that commercially bottled stuff on the ground that is no more than colored ammonia? Colored ammonia I might add that you HAVE NO IDEA OF WHAT IT CAME FROM, and how contaminated it might be.

There are ZERO standards for the commercial lure industry, and considering the highly improbable mathematical chance of there being that many captive deer to furnish the TENS OF THOUSANDS of gallons of "doe-in-heat" urine that is available on store shelves ALL YEAR AROUND, you really don't kow WHAT the source for that urine is. It may very well be from sheep, goats, cattle, horses, or even from the lure bottlers employees after a coffee break!!!

I use and swear by "Woods Walker's Special Lure", that is cheap, effective,HIGHLY portable, and it comes with it's own multi-purpose applicator! [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Proline

Postby Proline » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:08 am

I am equipped with smallest bladder known to man. On the few occasions I have 4gotten my bottle I have whizzed off the stand and never seen a deer either.  I have also hit a scrape a few times and never seen a positive reaction from that. I will qualify this by saying I live in Mass. where densities are no where near other parts.  I just won't take a chance.  Sometimes in Mass. you can sit for days and not see a deer.  I just wont chance it.  If I forget my bottle I always find a stream like someone above mentioned.  Everybody has their own opinions I guess.  

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:15 am

[font="Verdana"][/font]As I said, do what makes you feel the most confident. That's a big part of what hunting is anyway.

You might want to check this out, it's a thread from the past where we covered a lot of this.....

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm. ... ine&#24862
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 am

Buy it now!! Woods Walker Wizz the best attractant on the market. (Just Kidding)
This is a agree to disagree situation. Do what works for you.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 am

deer are curious by nature, esp. young deer.

but i barely like to even use doe pee as an attractant. I would rather not disturb the natural scents in my hunting area. Smell of an unknown or new deer(or human urine scent) could put that old wary buck on full alert when he would otherwise be relaxed.

i just prefer to leave as little impact on my hunting areas as possible. But I dont doubt any of you who have had success w/o the bottle.

I have a relative that swears his chew (spitting from the stand) attracts deer, after about ten years with him having deer come in and sniff where he is spitting at least once a year, it has never been a mature buck.

my .02
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices