To Bottle or Not To Bottle?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Woods Walker

RE: To Bottle or Not To Bottle?

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:24 am

[font="Verdana"][/font]swamp: You are consistent in your logic about not using ANY urine at all in your area. That makes sense to me, because I believe that you have a far better chance of "contaminating" the area with a commercial scent than with your own. I've NEVER seen a deer flee from where I have made a fresh "deposit", but I HAVE had them bolt and run from commercial lures on several occasions.

I do also agree that the best scent is NO scent. But when ya gotta go.........[;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Proline

Postby Proline » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:33 am

I am with you Swamp.  I do not use any scents at all. Not even during the rut.  IMO, The best scent is no scent at all.

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:41 am

I am really on the fence.  I try not to go in the woods ever but, if I have to and I am not close to a creek then I let it fly....this usually only happens during an all day sit for me.  Nonetheless, it is very rare I have to go in the woods.  With that being said, how about this for the bottle boys with trail cameras.  Find a spot in the off season that you know deer will use, pee on the ground and let your trail cam give you the answer to the almighty question of "To pee or not to pee?"
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:54 am

[font="Verdana"][/font]LOL! That's already been done by some here. I know it seems hard to accept, but WE ARE NOT LYING TO YOU! I guess this is something that you must learn for yourself. For those of us that have learned it, there's no debate. It makes no difference. Just try to keep an open mind.....the results will surprise you.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:04 am

Oh yeah, I am certainly open-minded about the issue.  Like I said, if I gotta go....I go.  I suppose I should try it in the off season simply for my own piece of mind.  I guess I have just been in the mode of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".....I need to shift gears into "continuous improvement"!  I will take any advantage I can get over those weary warriors.
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:34 am

I'm with Woods Walker on this one. I've never seen a deer alarmed by my urine and have tested the theory extensively over the past few years. My biggest test was where we have a scrape on our 110 acres that is one that gets used all year long. It's on a main 4-wheeler trail leading to a corn field and I decided to pee in the scrape and mount a camera over it. I also told the kids (young boys) that if they needed to pee and were in the area of this scrape to go ahead and pee in it. My camera showed several mature bucks checking the scrape at night unalarmed licking the branches directly above it and you would always find fresh scrape markings on the scrape itself the day after knowing you urinated in it. I'll have to find some of those pictures and post them here.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:47 am

I also have pee'd in scrapes only to come back a day or two later to see it tore up . Whether you agree or disagree about urinating from the stand , etc , you should still respect your Pee'ers ! [:D]..[:D]..[:D]
Semper Fi !

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:11 am

This debate will forever be at the top of the list of hunters wondering what to do.

Personally, I used to be very pro-active about not leaving ANY scent in the woods, and that included my own urine.  If I had to go to the bathroom, I'd get down from stand and walk quite a ways away, dig a small hole, and go.  Now, the last couple years I've gotten away from this a bit and have seen that deer can be curious when it comes to this.  I'll go off my stand, as well as go in scrapes.  Does this scare some deer off?  Maybe, but I haven't seen it.  I also still use those expensive commercial scents for one reason or another...Slowly getting away from that though.
QDM!

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 am

I can't wait to get home tonight & when the wife asks what I did today I can say, I talked about pee all day with the deer hunting boys. That is sure to get some stranger looks than I normaly get.
I respect all of your opinions.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:49 am

ORIGINAL: pickleguy

I can't wait to get home tonight & when the wife asks what I did today I can say, I talked about pee all day with the deer hunting boys. That is sure to get some stranger looks than I normaly get.
I respect all of your opinions.

LOL, that's funny coming from somebody with a screen name of Pickleguy! I knew a guy in MEPPS before joining the Air Force who I watched drink a whole jar of Pickle Juice thinking it would help him pass the pee test, I guess he had smoked some marijuana recently. I never did find out if he made it!

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices