To Bottle or Not To Bottle?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
SHKYBoonie

RE: To Bottle or Not To Bottle?

Postby SHKYBoonie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:40 pm

This has been very entertaining, reading the post on this thread through e-mails all day.[:D]

All in all, I don't really think this is a debate issue. I am usually all about trying something new if it seems logical enough. Problem with relieving yourself at your stand site, doesn't seem logical at all. None the less, I am going to do some experimenting with it later this year. If it doesn't have an attracting influence on the deer, I say why bother. I mean it's just as easy for me to pack an empty bottle in my back pack. I use smokeless tobacco while on stand. I use to just spit on the ground all around my stand. When I finally stopped this and started using a bottle instead, my success rate went up tremendously! So, I already have a bottle on stand with me. If I use it to relieve myself then I just don't dip for the rest of the hunt.

Woods, if anything you give a good argument on this subject. It does make me stop and think, but if using a bottle gives you piece of mind while hunting, use it. I mean, I have to have confidence in my gun, bow, arrows, bullet, stand, clothes, bino's, all of the gear I use, as well as confidence in the area I'm hunting and myself. If I lack any of these things, I would be second guessing everything. I'm not doubting that there is a chance that urinating in the woods has little to no effect on deer. I'm just saying, "If it's not broke, don't fix it!"

I once had a hunting friend who use to put on Rightguard before he went hunting. I ask him if he realized what he smelled like? He asked me, "how many deer do you know that even know what Rightguard is?" My answer to that is, when they smell something, they know if it is supposed to be there or not. Being the cautious animals they are, my bet is they would avoid that area. I wouldn't even ride in the same truck with him to the hunting area.[:D]
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:20 pm

I was skeptical at first but last year I did my own test.  I dropped some Code Blue Buck urine in  a scrape and then my own "personal" sample in another scrape near by.  The results were obvious...the code blue scrape went dormant...no activity...the scrape with my own urine was tore up.  From that point forward I decided peeing off the stand could only help.  I recall one particular hunt this year I had just pee'd off the stand an about 10 mins later 2 does came by.  I lost sight of them then a couple minutes later I was surprised to see them make a beeline for the base of the tree I was in...sniffing out the exact spot I had pee'd on.  Now some might say they were just does...true but they were mature does, which can be every bit as wary as mature bucks...even more so.

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:14 am

I use a bottle,(make that a jug)  I used to go off the stand but one, it makes a lot of noise, 2nd deer will come in to investigate and get too close. If a deer gets that close to me I will almost always get busted.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:26 am

O.K WOODS you got me thinking, So here's the plan, This coming year I will be pissing all over my SCENT BLOCKER boots and giving this a try, First reason for leaking on the SB boots is because thats about what they are worth IMO. OOPS I forgot I better piss on something else because these boots are not water proof like they claim [:@].

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:14 am

Hookset ---- Just don't change your DEPENDS before you get in your stand . That wet diaper should draw the deer right to you ! [:D]..[:D]..[:D]..[:D]..[:D]
Semper Fi !

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:47 pm

What about #2 anyone try that ha ha. I won't pee in the woods but I can almost promise as mentioned before young deer will check it out. I get young deer looking into the trail cams all the time. Animal nature is curiousidy a deer that's never seen a human will hang out and watch you till the mature Doe says different. That was a joke about #2

epd68

Postby epd68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:29 pm

TO PEE OR NOT TO PEE well i guess it depends on your diet different foods have different effects on the odor and chemical signature of your own urine i carry a bottle just in case i dont feel that pissing in a scrape is a good test because a deer is accustomed to foreign odors in a scrape that indicate the status of the cervid who freshened it .BIG BUCKS ARE RECLUSIVE EVEN FROM OTHER DEER they use different trails and there curiosity is not as reckless as the young deer who are stupidly attracted to your piss ANYONE WHO HAS TAKEN A PISS AFTER USING ANTIBIOTICS will attest to this differenciation of human urine odor based on diet/chemicals in the body. if you are in estrous go ahead if not URINE TROUBLE

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:25 am

ORIGINAL: bmstaaf

What about #2 anyone try that ha ha. I won't pee in the woods but I can almost promise as mentioned before young deer will check it out. I get young deer looking into the trail cams all the time. Animal nature is curiousidy a deer that's never seen a human will hang out and watch you till the mature Doe says different. That was a joke about #2

[font="Verdana"][/font]Actually that makes no difference either. Back in the days when I did carry a pee bottle, when THAT need overcame me, it went right on the ground, as getting it in a bottle proved somewhat difficult. [;)] In the rare circumstances when that bothersome issue had to be addressed while on stand, it was usually dealt with VERY close to the tree, as it was close a few times to being dealt with BEFORE I got out of the tree, which creates another whole set of "logistics"!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bowhuntr15

Postby bowhuntr15 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:25 am

SHKY, I believe it is a debate - two sides, pros and cons, believers and non believers [8|].  Heck, your friend with rightguard, that'd be a debate itself.  I too had a person that I hunted with for only to occations and never more.  Peed anywhere and smelled like a perfume isle.  He was killing me and our chances at anything [:@].   He was complaining about never harvesting an animal and considering quitting.  I wonder why!!

With all the feedback there is, especially WW's thinking and alleged experiences, I too am willing to try something new.  Next season, I will tinkle on two of my favorite spots, and not on the others.  Curious to see what happens.  I LOVE HUNTING and respect all's opinions on this topic!!!! 
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

bowhuntr15

Postby bowhuntr15 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:36 am

LOL!!!!!......, and the older we get, the harder it is to even attempt the "two-to-pee bottle" trick. 

And to all you that responded with "...I've read", or "..., according to", I'd like to know what books and/or what authors so that I may do some reading on this subject.  thanks
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices