To Bottle or Not To Bottle?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
SHKYBoonie

RE: To Bottle or Not To Bottle?

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:21 am

ORIGINAL: bowhuntr15

SHKY, I believe it is a debate - two sides, pros and cons, believers and non believers [8|].  Heck, your friend with rightguard, that'd be a debate itself.  I too had a person that I hunted with for only to occations and never more.  Peed anywhere and smelled like a perfume isle.  He was killing me and our chances at anything [:@].   He was complaining about never harvesting an animal and considering quitting.  I wonder why!!

With all the feedback there is, especially WW's thinking and alleged experiences, I too am willing to try something new.  Next season, I will tinkle on two of my favorite spots, and not on the others.  Curious to see what happens.  I LOVE HUNTING and respect all's opinions on this topic!!!! 

What I meant by "not really a debate issue" is, no matter what someone else on this forum tells you, you aren't going to throw all caution into the wind and just pee all over the woods. The ones that do use a bottle will probably still continue to do so, regardless of who told them they didn't need to. I'm not doubting that others have had success while peeing all over their stand sites, but I have seen stranger things happen. If you are content seeing young immature deer that are curious because they don't know any better, then do what you will. I consistently kill mature bucks every year using a bottle. Until I see proof with my own eyes that it doesn't matter, I will continue to do so. If it doesn't show to have an attraction factor, I will continue to use a bottle. I also have come to respect Woods' opinion and believe he believes in what he is saying, but take into account, he is a stalker/still hunter. He isn't setting in one spot that he has dumped the remains of his used morning coffee. He is making things happen in the woods, not waiting on things to happen around where he sits.

My sniffer isn't anywhere as good as a deer's and I can tell the difference in cat urine, dog urine and even my own urine for that matter. Unless the deer tell me other wise, I will believe that they can too x100! I am intrigued by this enough to experiment with it and that is as far as I will go right now. That is why I say it is not really a debate issue, it's more of a speaking of ones opinion.
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:34 pm

Here's one to think about [8|]. How about if your walking threw the woods with a cup of FOLGERS coffee and your headed back to your vehicle and you find yourself having to pee while on the way out you find a scrape and think uhh maybe I'll pee in it [8|]. Here's the question, I don't know about everyone else but when I pee after drinking coffee a guy could dam near tell what brand I was drinking, So basically I would be peeing a cup of FOLGERS into this scrape until the FOLGERS smell went away and I have no clue on how long that might take [8|] So let's put this in hunting terms a figure you were walking to your tree in the morning run across a scrape piss in it after a cup of joe on the drive out and 2 hrs later a 150" buck comes by what does he smell FOLGERS, AMONIA, or just plain old human pee? My point is that if we a peeing in these scrapes on our way out these deer maybe running across them a day or two later when alot of the food type smells may be gone but if they are coming across them an hour or two after being wizzed in then what happen's [8|]? How about when we eat asparagus? WOW does that ever stink.. I'm still going to try this but I am cautious on when and where I'm going to do it [:D]

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:28 am

Now I don't want to gross everyone out, but while at my gun club we were talking about this topic. One of the old timers said that his ex-wife used to go out hunting with him and the best hunting was when she "had that time of the month". He claimed that he thought that it was because of all the extra hormones in her urine and other femine bodily odors releasted at the special time. I'm interested in trying this out but I have not worked up the courage to ask my wife for her "donation" for the experiments! Maybe this coming season I will ask, and I will report back on my findings, or I will let you all know when and where my funeral arrangments are!
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:01 am

^^ that one wins! lol

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Woodsalta does win hands down ha ha. I was once told by a successful rack hunter he used cow urine during their cycle and he was successful

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:48 am

Well I had some liquid courage in me last night and I told my wife what I wrote. As you can tell, I'm not writing an obituary column here. She said she would do it for me next season if I remembered to ask her. (I telling you guys, I married a great woman). I will keep you all up to date on my findings.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:27 pm

[font="Verdana"][/font]Better yet, BRING HER WITH YOU! This way you can have her sit up wind from you and she can move if the wind shifts.

Or even better, make a doe decoy that's large enough so that she can sit inside it!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:53 pm

ORIGINAL: woodsalta

Well I had some liquid courage in me last night and I told my wife what I wrote. As you can tell, I'm not writing an obituary column here. She said she would do it for me next season if I remembered to ask her. (I telling you guys, I married a great woman). I will keep you all up to date on my findings.

I told my wife about this and her response was, "Yeah, Right! You gotta be kidding?" I would like to know if it works or not. I have heard about this myth for years, not that I could ever do it myself. I have learned to be a timid little man when that time of the month comes around. Besides, I can barely deal with the thought of putting deer pee around me let alone "that". Putting up with the talk around deer camp would be enough to drive me insane. Have you heard the story where I wrapped myself up in a rubber rain suit down to the electrical tape to close of any chance of scent getting out? I believe it was one of the "scent lok" post. Anyway, I'm still dealing with the laughter from that one at camp.[:D][:D][:D]
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:39 am

When we are at her brothers house in Maine she does go out to the stand with me, but sometimes it's not the right "time". So this year I will bottle some up as the season nears.
Fortunatly where I live most of the hunting is done in an urban setting (I live in Massachusetts, right outside of Boston), within sight of roads, houses and alot of people. Last season I was in my stand in this ladies back yard, with 7-8 houses in sight, I had 1 homeowner behind me using a backpack leaf blower, another person walking their Greman shepard, just about everyone was cooking dinner and the deer were grazing away in the middle of a small field just out of bow range. The deer here are so used to people and the odors and smells we create that it is "normal" for them. I read some of the postings and think to myself, "wow, they go through alot of preparation just to get in the field". Here we just get out of the truck in full camo, slam the door to make sure the light goes off, some guys I hunt with light up a cigarette for the walk out to the stand and off we go! It is a different way of hunting here and I guess I'm lucky that I don't have to go through all of the scent blocking rituals that someone, say in the midwest, has to. So putting out my wife's special blend next season shouldn't spook or scare the deer, but I believe that it might actually work, as it will be fresher than anything I could buy in the store. I think that by the middle of next season after reading aboutmy findings, a few other hunters in this forum will muster up the courage to ask their significant other for a "sample" to bring into the field. I can't wait till next season!!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:58 am

[font="Verdana"][/font]woodsalta: You may find the following beneficial then! I saw this on another site........

The following was posted on another hunting site last year, and it's about the funniest hunting information I've ever read! I grew up in New Jersey, so I can relate!

**********************************************************************************************************************************
"OK, I've decided to spill my guts. I'm sure many of you will be skeptical but I know this stuff works.

Ive been culling for a local police dept for the last few years, on VERY small woodlots in developed (to say the least) suburban areas in NJ.

Consider: I live on 70,000 acres of federal land on the Delaware river where I've killed a pile of deer, and I'm driving 1 1/2 hrs through rush hour traffic to hunt deer in the suburbs.

I can watch TV through peoples' windows. Sometimes I even bring my own remote so I can change channels.

Old women have approached me and asked if I would shoot the deer eating their roses. I think the 50 or so deer I've killed in the last couple years is evidence enough to support my tips. Don't get all indignant. The cops threatened to get in white RINO if we archers didn't kill enough, so we can hunt 'em like rabbits with a clear conscience. Ok here goes:

1. Stalk as the corporate jets are taking off. They'll never hear you. Traffic noise, sirens, church bells and loudspeakers from car dealers also work.

2. Carry a leaf blower and the deer will think you're a Mexican and ignore you.

3. Try a ghillie suit. I killed one from the ground at about 30 inches! My arrow barely cleared the shelf. I got splattered. They really don't get it.

(NOTE: I hunt on the ground in a ghillie suit, and this is TRUE! They don't get it!!!)

4. When blood trailing, listen for the sound of hooves on the pavement. It's audible for a long way. Don't forget to check the sides of parked vehicles for blood.

5. Gasoline makes a great cover scent.

6. Where multiple deer are legal, always shoot the lead doe first. The rest of them are helpless.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices