To Bottle or Not To Bottle?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
woodsalta

RE: To Bottle or Not To Bottle?

Postby woodsalta » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:20 am

I have heard of shooting the lead doe before. I have heard that the other deer that are in the group arn't as wise to the layout of the land as the head doe, and they wait for one of the remaining does to "take the lead". This only allows us to take another deer if we have another tag to fill.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

Pursuit Hunter

Postby Pursuit Hunter » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:12 am

Let 'er rip. Doesn't alarm the deer at all. Better yet, do it in a scrape, or start your own.
Hunting takes place before you climb into your stand. Everything after that is just shooting. TM

www.pursuithunting.com

Semper Fi

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Sun May 23, 2010 4:14 pm

I WAS a wizz bottler for 24 years and with my need to wizz I had to pack a lot of bottles . After all of the posts on this subject last year I decided to go bottle free and see what haappens .
To make a long story short last year was the best year I have ever had . I did not have any deer come up and nose around where I had wizzed but it did not send them fleeing the area like I had always thought it would . I managed to harvest 2 mature bucks and a coyote and had several doe around but there were no good shots offered so none were taken .
I could not tell that wizzing from the stand had any kind of adverse affect on deer sightings . The biggest benifit of going bottle free is not haveing to pack out all of the bottles .
To all of you who helped convince me to go bottle free THANKS I will never pack a bottle again .
Johnny
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun May 23, 2010 4:27 pm

ORIGINAL: MoDeer

I WAS a wizz bottler for 24 years and with my need to wizz I had to pack a lot of bottles . After all of the posts on this subject last year I decided to go bottle free and see what haappens .
To make a long story short last year was the best year I have ever had . I did not have any deer come up and nose around where I had wizzed but it did not send them fleeing the area like I had always thought it would . I managed to harvest 2 mature bucks and a coyote and had several doe around but there were no good shots offered so none were taken .
I could not tell that wizzing from the stand had any kind of adverse affect on deer sightings . The biggest benifit of going bottle free is not haveing to pack out all of the bottles .
To all of you who helped convince me to go bottle free THANKS I will never pack a bottle again .
Johnny

You betcha'! It's what I like to call "pee freedom", and basically it makes the world your personal urinal!

And thank you Johnny! It's posts like these that make the special $40.00 forum membership fee I have to pay Ben Sobiecki well worth it! [:D] [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Sun May 23, 2010 4:51 pm

Got to addmit I did feal like I had been set free . Plus it was nice going back to the truck with my pack being lighter than when I went to the stand .
Johnny

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun May 23, 2010 5:05 pm

Now I know that you have to take things one step at a time, but if you REALLY want to taste FREEDOM, try hunting on the ground, with no blind to lug around. Either still-hunt, or prepare natural ground blind set ups in advance using deadfalls. You will feel like you've been reborn!

No ropes, harnesses, hooks, holders, seats, tents, cushions, backpacks, extra clothing, umbrellas, climbing sticks, steps, etc. that you need a SkyCap for to get it all in and out of the woods for you. Just you, your weapon, and maybe a fanny pack. Seeing deer that are not anywhere near your stand? See an estrous doe visit a scrape that's 100 yards away from the stand your in? Wind change? NO PROBLEM! Just MOVE! Quick, quiet, and effective.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Sun May 23, 2010 5:39 pm

I could not agree with you more . It does not get any better than beeing one on one with deer at their level . I believe we discused it a couple of times in the thread for ground pounders last year .
I did not get much of a chance to get on the ground here at home last year . Shot the first buck before it was cool enough to want to be on the ground and rifle season only lasted 30 minutes . I did go to Oklahoma for 9 days and I never take a stand or blind with me out of state .
Johnny

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:53 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

6. Where multiple deer are legal, always shoot the lead doe first. The rest of them are helpless.

I actually believe this to be true.  I got my first bow kill last fall and there were two does and I shot the lead one (bigger of the two) and the other ran and stopped when the other ran into the woods on her way to light at the end of the tunnel.  If she would have been at a better stance my buddy could have downed her as well.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:22 am

I've been a bottle guy for 33 years and never tried different.  I always waited until I got to a creek to dump my bottle or let loose what I was carrying on board.  I am going to test this out on the deer at the house to check their reaction.

If you think about it, most animals just go wherever they happen to be when the urge strikes.  Deer don't turn themselves inside out anytime they encounter the smell of urine, or they be running around like fools. There is a lot of logic behind not bottling.  The freedom would be nice.  I will test a few scrapes here around the house to see how custom scent marking does.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

KYdeer88

Postby KYdeer88 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:54 pm

I go for distance off the stand. I have been caught with my "pants down" before. I have peed in scrapes before and they get hit after.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices