Drippers

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
nhdeerchaser

Drippers

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:16 am

Hey everyone!

I want to know if anyone out there uses mock scrapes and doe drippers. I was gonna hang one, but was'nt sure when I should.
Do they work better in the later stages of the rut? Earlier?
Or are they totally useless?

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

ranwin33

RE: Drippers

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:24 am

I've given them a try.  Really can't say how well they work.  I've gotten trail camera photos of deer smelling the dripper, and deer have made scrapes under them, but I've never seen a deer use one when I was around it.  Guess what I'm trying to say is, I wouldn't buy one if your plan is to use it to attract deer like bait would, but if you just want to get deer to visit an area it will work just fine. 

But then again so will a lot of other things that you can do for free.  [:)]

As far as when to set it out, if you've got one I'd hang it now and run it through the season.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:41 am

I've used the Dripper without much luck. The only thing I've heard that works effectively is Scent Machines that spray out a mist of cent that can be carried with the wind. The two on the market I am aware of are "The Scent Machine" The Scent Machine and the "Buckmister" Buckmister. I won a Buckmister at a fishing seminar of all places so I'm going to give it a try this year and will report my results on the blog after I have used it for a while.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:54 am

I think the drippers are meant to serve a different purpose than the scent machines. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:50 pm

I agree with ranwin33, they are nice for making mock scrapes and setting up a camera to see whats in the area but I don't thick they are the "go to" thing to draw a deer in during daylight.
If you are looking for something to either stop a deer in a shooting lane or drawing them in during the rut, a scent wick might work better for ya.
If you do use a dripper right now, I wouldn't put any estrous scent in it. Just regular natural buck urine or something similar. Like ranwin33 said, you can run them all year long if you wanted.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:37 pm

I used one once but never saw the deer. I made a mock scrape 20 yrds in front of me when i discovered several minor scrapes behind my stand. I did this to instigate the buck to come out in front instead of behind. I used Trails End scent (forgot the number), was an early season buck scent. Placed the dripper 7 ft above the mock scrape. Inside of two days there was a 4 by 4 area tore up not 2 yards next to the one I made. That scrape got freshened regularly till the rut. But I never got to see the buck making it (before trail cams). I assumed he was coming through at night. For whatever reason I never used it again. Think I lent it out and never got it back lol. Worked. Right place, just wrong time.
Venison - the other red meat

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:56 pm

I wonder if a dripper would work with fresh human urine.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........I think I might give it a shot.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:35 pm

I'll start using my dripper over a mock scrape around the end of Oct., and run it through the end of the season. I have never used one before but will give it a shot. I'll put a camera near it to see what does visit it as well.

deerchaser, fill us in if you go that route and let us know if it works.

Jerimy240

Postby Jerimy240 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:01 pm

I've heard that peeing into a scrape works just as well as pouring scent into it. The buck can't differentiate between buck urine and human urine. He gets pissed and revisits the scrape to mark the territory. I hope it works. Sometimes I have to go so bad, I can't take my climber back to the truck
Summerville, SC

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:32 pm

I have pee'd in scrapes and wherever in the woods I was and have seen no change in any buck or doe visiting the area or scrape. I just have not fiiled a dripper with pee.. human or animal. Will use one this year with the store bought stuff.
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

Next

Return to Best Practices