How many opportunities do you get to hunt each fall?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
wiqdma

How many opportunities do you get to hunt each fall?

Postby wiqdma » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:11 am

I consider an opportunity being any time you go hunting.  AM and PM hunts would be separate opportunities.

I try to get in 80 or so with the bow and a few with the gun.

shadow

RE: How many opportunities do you get to hunt each fall?

Postby shadow » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:34 am

Good question wiqdma, there are alot of folks i'm sure that can not put in the time they want to go out and hunt.
Being out of work for the last 9 years, (helping raise our kids along with aiding my wife with her bussiness) I found alot of time to be able to do the whole thing,... year round scouting, improving my property for wildlife, AND hunting. I was easily able to hunt around 45 days per season, (Sept 15th thru Dec 31st).
This however will change I am sure this year. I am now back in gear looking for full time work.
I live in Ct, anybody know anyone here that'll hire me??

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:53 am

I dont get to go out and hunt as much as I used too. I make it out about 25 days in the bow season and usually hunt hard the first 5 days of the 9 day gun season. Once the kids get older and are all in school I should be able to get out there and hunt some more.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Couple dozen times a season

willseyville

Postby willseyville » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:26 am

i do'nt get the time to go out as much as i used to . right now i'm looking at about 9 days for bow and 6 for gun  but i ca'nt wait for the season to get here cause any time i can get out and hunt is a great day[:D] wayne

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:13 am

If each time I hunt is an opportunity, then a whole bunch. 

Season starts 9/15 and ends mid-January.  I hunt about every other weekend and Fridays with the ocassional Thursday thrown in.  Then I take a full week or two in late October or early November.  Then another week or two mid-November when gun season starts.  Figuring hunting twice a day, most days, its just too hard to figure up. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:10 pm

I would say in a good year about 40-50 sits with the bow.  This is if I hunt just about every weekend, morning and night...and then the late season.  Avg. though prob. about 30-35.  With our 9 day gun season (they are trying to pass it to 16 days now in WI...I HOPE it doesn't come to that!), I'm out there morning and night just about every day, unless I have to work of course, which last year I had to for the first time since I started gun hunting.  Made it out 14 sits last year with the gun.
QDM!

travise

Postby travise » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:41 pm

I hunt somewhere between 60-80 times a year. Live in Wisconsin. Bowhunting begins Sept. 12 and and ends Jan. 3. I'm a teacher and my hunting land is about 5 minutes from school.

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:47 pm

I havn't been out nearly as much this year as in past years, due mostly to work and a bunch of weddings.... which I'm not happy about.  I do plan on taking off the 2nd through the 6th of November for a solid week of bowhunting this year.  This is the first time I have done this, and I can't wait.  I'm guessing I will still have over 20 sits this year though.

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:26 pm

Not nearly as much as I would like. I hunt WI but live 4 hours away in IL. Bow - 12 to 16 sits per year. Rifle - 5- 9 days depending on where Thanksgiving is (wife parents or mine).
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

Next

Return to Best Practices