Trespassers

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
kellory

Re: Trespassers

Postby kellory » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Sounds like woodstock revisited. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:12 am

I agree with all the statements about trespassing not being acceptable but I disagree with all the tough talk about people shooting trespassers. I don't think anyone would want to spend the rest of their life in prison over someone trespassing on your land. The proper steps are to notifiy law enforcement and move on. Here is a story from Wisconsin that happened a few years back. Land owners tried to get "tough" with a Hmong hunter and all though no one may ever know the truth about what sparked the Hmong hunter to go on a killing spree I am sure he was taunted and felt treatened. Just my POV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai_Vang

I currently am having property issues with my neighbor. I own 40 acres of hunting land and my neighbor who has been on my propery several times has decided he and his group were going to do everything they can to try to keep the deer off my property. I was bow hunting the land 2 season ago and noticed one of the guys in his group dumping liquid from a 5 gallon pal on the property line, turns out it was urine, they were all peeing in a bucket and then saving it and dumping it on the property line. After I got down and started walking the property line I notice white paper towel sticking out from logs and rocks all along the property line, when I turned the logs and rocks and pulled out the paper towel I found human feces wrapped up in the paper towel and stuck under the logs and rocks in an attempt to keep the deer from crossing that part of the property line. I notified the DNR and since have not noticed anything but I don't hunt there very often. I don't understand why people get so anal over property. If you shoot a deer on your land and it comes on my land come and get it, plain and simple, but I expect the same courtesy in return.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:48 pm

I remember hearing about this Vang guy when this happened. Everyone involved made stupid errors. Polite but firm is always better. Getting the tag number was accually a good thought, and a photo would have been good, then let him go and report it. Let the officers deal with it. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to Best Practices