Bedded doe decoy questions

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
jpshields

Bedded doe decoy questions

Postby jpshields » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:38 am

Can anyone recommend where to buy one or which is a good one?  Do you always need to use a buck decoy with the bedded doe decoy?  With the buck decoy, do you want to use a smaller buck then what you are trying to shoot?  Are you only using this combination during the rut?

Thanks

kykevin

RE: Bedded doe decoy questions

Postby kykevin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:49 am

I dont have any experience with a bedded doe decoy but as far as a bbuck decoy you dont want one so large it will intimidate most other bucks. Most decoys made now sport a typical young rack which should work great. Ive not tried them this early in the season though.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:39 pm

This setup is best during the rut. The buck indeed helps "sell" the idea that the doe is in estrous and the buck is on guard.
The more realistic it is the better.
A good rule of thumb is that you want the antlers on your decoy about 10 inches or so less than your goal.
You may want to check this thread out for additional opinions- http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=43979
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

travise

Postby travise » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:31 pm

I have used this combination quite often over the passt three years in Wisconsin. I will begin using it usually around Oct. 25. I set the doe down facing away from me and the buck about 10 yards away at about a 45 degree angle from the doe. I have had tons of deer come into this setup, and very rarely have the deer busted my setup. It's quite amusing to see some of the young buck come into this setup acting so tough. The buck decoy that I'm using is a Delta Backyard buck that sports a rack of about 90 in. Try it and you'll love it. It's an awesome setup.

Return to Best Practices