Beans Bean Beabs

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
cford

Beans Bean Beabs

Postby cford » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi folks,  looking for some input.  Im hunting out lease near Clark County Indiana its Oct.8 and we basically have 2 big beanfields that are as green as they can be, still.  Almost all of the surrounding fields are not only changed colors but have dried out?  Just recently leased the property so I dont knwo why they are still green.  Havent had the chance to hunt it yet, scouted and looks good.  Im planning on hunting the back of the field in a corner that connects a small tract of woods to a large block of timber.  Any input on the beans and how good or bad is this for the hunting?

whubbard

RE: Beans Bean Beabs

Postby whubbard » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:19 pm

great question.  unfortunately I can't answer it.  I am new to hunting ag areas myself, but am having similar situations.  Trying to decide which direction to set up.  towards the green beans or the dried out brown ones.
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Hey folks,
Where I hunt it's almost all beans.  I've seen lots of deer pounding the beanfields both when they are green and brown/dry.  They seem to love 'em either way from my experience.

Good luck!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:07 pm

cford, first off, welcome!

as for the beans...there are a variety of beans that mature at different stages so i wouldn't be too worried.  actually with them being green right now, they may be hitting them still.  i'm sure it won't be too far in the future where they will turn brown and lose their leaves, so take advantage of the situation while you can...and then if they don't get harvested, hunt them hard late season! 

best of luck!
QDM!

wolf60

Postby wolf60 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:02 pm

I hunt in Ohio. We got lots of beans. Usually when some beans are green and some are brown it's because for some reason the green field was planted later then the brown ones. I tend to find that they like the green more than the brown. I have also found that they like it the best after the fields have been picked. They will scarf up the loose beans that the combine missed. Either way you can't loose. If there are beans and there is good cover near by, there will be deer in those fields, green or brown.  Good luck and hunt safe.  Frank

TwistedX

Postby TwistedX » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:04 pm

I was reading a food plot book at wal mart waiting on mom to get done shopping one day and that book suggested planting soybeans because they have three stages that the deer like the most.  they love them when they sprout and they eat the bean sprouts.  they love the leaves on the plants as they mature and when the plants produce beans they will eat the beans themselves.  now if the beans are really dry they may pass on that, but if they are wet IE just after a rain or they just havent had tume to dry out they will be hammering the fields.  Another thing to think about is if the deer runs out in the field and dies how are you getting it out without damaging beans and also make sure you find your arrows, EVERYONE OF THEM! If the farmer happens to find one in his tire he will almost certainly boot you out.
Some days you're the dog - some days you're the hydrant.
Anonymous

TwistedX (+)

smudd55

Postby smudd55 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:44 am

I don't hunt a field like that but there is a field like it down from me.  Green as July beans.  I don't know why though.  I do know from a D&DH article that deer do not like the beans in the green stage because of the shell that surrounds the bean.  Last week I had a six pointer in front of me for 20 minutes walking around eating the brown beans.  He was even walking on the trail I came in on.

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:49 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Hey folks,
Where I hunt it's almost all beans.  I've seen lots of deer pounding the beanfields both when they are green and brown/dry.  They seem to love 'em either way from my experience.

Good luck!

Nice signature Paul K.ImageImage

I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

Return to Best Practices