Bow releases...Have to use them or not???

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
cjgaleana

Bow releases...Have to use them or not???

Postby cjgaleana » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm new to bow hunting this year and I was wondering if you have to use a bow release or can I just draw back with my fingers. I seem to find it easier to do it with my hand, even though my hand does get beat up a little. Am I loosing accuracy by doing this and should I just learn to use the bow with a release? Thanks guys.

shaman

RE: Bow releases...Have to use them or not???

Postby shaman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:02 am

A release sure makes getting a good grouping much easier.  I've never shot a hunting bow with anything less than a tab.  I switched to a release after a couple years.  My groupings improved dramatically.  A release does a lot of things.  If you have one that attaches to your wrist it allows you to relax your fingers and draw using your shoulder muscles.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:17 am

I had always used a tab with on my compound. I did try a release when they were first made legal in Ohio, but never got comfortable with it. Your release technique is one of the critical aspects of accuracy. I have switched to a crossbow over the years, but if I were you I'd get a good release. As Shaman said try one with a wrist atachment.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:05 am

I have always shot with my fingers, even when I shot a compound. I tried a release for a while, but it just felt so damn weird, that I never got used to it. That, and the fact that it's SO much easier and less complicated to use your fingers.

However....the compound bow I shot up until about 8 years ago (I shoot a recurve now) was of 1983 vintage, and by today's standards was a LONG wheel to wheel bow. This made it shootable with fingers because the string angle at full draw was not that severe, and made for cleaner finger releases.

With today's short bows, I don't see how you can even shoot them with fingers, as the pinch would be so severe. Bascially they've made compound bows today so that the only thing you can shoot them with is a release.

But if you still want to use your fingers, let me know and I will give you a few tips to try.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:18 am

If you're shooting a compound bow, by all means use a release.  Not that you have too, but why wouldn't you.  It will improve your accuracy, making drawing the bow easier, and make holding the bow at full draw easier.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:01 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

If you're shooting a compound bow, by all means use a release.  Not that you have too, but why wouldn't you.  It will improve your accuracy, making drawing the bow easier, and make holding the bow at full draw easier.

x2, IMO it only makes more sense to use a release.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:11 am

WoodsWalker said it all . With bows being made shorter , you would get pinched fingers shooting without a release . The release makes for a more consistant firing of the bow.
Then again , the Fitzgeralds of TV fame shoot compounds instinctive and with fingers .
Semper Fi !

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:17 am

I would also suggest using a release.  To go even a little further I would suggest using a caliper type with a loop on the string.  Helps with wear and tear on the string
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:41 am

I started out shooting fingers, up till when I was about 17 I think.  It's definately different going from one to the other, but I feel you'll be more accurate, as well as get a longer draw length because of this.  With a longer draw length, comes faster arrow speed.  I'm not saying speed is everything....Accuracy trumps that, but it helps if you have both accuracy and arrow speed!
QDM!

Return to Best Practices