bean field hunting

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
cford

bean field hunting

Postby cford » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:45 pm

Im hunting a large beanfield with a small finger of woods splitting the middle of it with the wooded area to the rear of the property.  Im hunting the back inside corner of the field.  any suggestions on morning hunting there and stand access.  Cant get in from the back.

Patriot

RE: bean field hunting

Postby Patriot » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:55 pm

Can you post a google earth map of the area?  That would help.

I have a similar situation.  My stand is on the North side of the beanfield, but can only access it by skirting the edge of the field for morning hunts.....so basically I only hunt it in the evenings.

Do whatever you can not to spook deer in the field on your way in.  Approach from downwind, take the long way in, whatever it takes.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:10 pm

I have this problem as well for one of my properties.  No access except for basically going through the fields.  One question, does this finger go all the way through to the road/area where you'd come in?  If not, as far as morning hunting, I'd recommend going in at first light when the deer have already exited...Unless you can get to that finger w/out spooking deer, you could do that as well. 
QDM!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:32 am

If you're willing to make the walk to the back inside corner, then why not walk a little further and get yourself up into the woods along some trails being made after they exit the beans. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

wolf60

Postby wolf60 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:51 am

I have the same problem. All the property surrounding my spot is owned by hunters and they won't let me cross their property to get to mine. I would take the long walk but sometimes you can't. My only advice is to do what I do, don't hunt it in the mornings. If that is the only time you have to hunt, then do like the one fella said, wait until they have left the field. Sometimes it pays to hunt from 10 am until 2 pm. Deer do get up in the middle of the day for a snack. You might be able to catch them then. Good luck and hunt safe.  Frank

Return to Best Practices