Deer baiting gone wild?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Dan Salmon

RE: Deer baiting gone wild?

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:40 pm

There was no judgment in that statement, just a statement of how I interpret baiting.  I hunt in a lot of very thick cedar swamps and clear cuts and know about the 20 to 50 yard range limits all too well.  Still, I feel much more accomplishment going one on one with a deer and all of its senses finely tuned.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:11 pm

Whats funny about this ,is that some people are against baiting.. BUt that same person sets up in a place where ACORNS are scattered all over the ground,and or a watering hole!!! lololol Either way you look at it its considered FOOOOOOOOD on the ground for deer to eat!

I planted and bait on my lease.. Public land I have to outwit those suckers..

Beezer

Postby Beezer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:53 pm

To anyone here who's ever seen a Pine Plantation, planted pine trees in rows just like crops but on a way bigger scale, what I'm about to say will make sense. "Until pine cones are a staple of a deer's diet I'm more than happy to throw out corn to see deer." Deer walk through these pines with no regular travel patterns or trails. I've watched the same deer walk out from several different trails just around my house. They move any place at any time and it's almost impossible to predict where they will be and when. I've tried everything from Deer Caine to More M'lass to Acorn Rage to just plain molasses but nothing works better than a pile of corn....I thinks it's a gene that been bred into South Carolina deer.

As long as it's legal where it's being used I have no problem with throwing something out to bring deer into a certain area. In my opinion it's no different than taking advantage of a food plot or an oak tree.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:37 pm

I'm against baiting, but then I'm against crossbow useage for healthy hunters.  So, maybe I need to change my ways, since as Ted says, hunting is hunting, but I still disagree with it.  I'll hunt over natural food sources and plant my food plots....I know I know, some people will even ask 'What's the differenct between putting out 100 gallons of corn and hunting over a corn field?'  Such a fine line.
QDM!

Previous

Return to Best Practices