Archery Accuracy

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
vt_archer

RE: Archery Accuracy

Postby vt_archer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks Patriot; nice to see the steps in writing/type/font.. whatever  ;)

Again, this site is a wealth of information

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:25 pm

As far as accurate distance I take 3 foot strides so each step is approximately 1 yard. I use a rangefinder to check after I step it off, but I am always within one step. Then I think that for between 10 and 20 Yards you should have groups within 3 inches and 30-50 yards consistently within a pie plate.

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:06 am

ORIGINAL: Blake Dandurand

ORIGINAL: reeper0697

ORIGINAL: Blake Dandurand

Just last weekend I shot a doe out to 70 yards, and I was 100% confident with that shot,

Did you kill the doe cleanly?

yeah i did, Quarting away slightly, a smidge high, but i nicked her spine and she left a blood trail on the standing beans that i could see from where i shot her to where she fell, went maybe 60 yards? and it was a spray out both sides.

Then ya got lucky!
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:07 am

IF its true
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

vt_archer

Postby vt_archer » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Another newbie question...

I ordered a setup from Huntersfriend.. was able to group tightly from 20 yards, less tightly from 30 and on and on right out of the box

So, of course, 4 days from bow season in Vermont, I decide to change my grip on the release, and now I'm still shooting groups, but pretty far off to my left, or at least far enough that if I aim in front of the shoulder, I'm hitting dead center in the lungs (where previously, it was pretty spot on.. the bow I mean, not me  :) )

What I was doing initially was pulling the release with my thumb, closer to my face, completely out of ignorance.. but it worked.. then switched up to my trigger finger after catching hell from my brother, and the groups moved to the left.. does that make sense logically?  I guess the distance of the peep to my face would have changed by switching my trigger finger, but should it be that dramatic, or is something else going on?  And, along those lines, would you more experienced folks just switch back to the thumb or adjust the sites to the index finger?

Also, a member on here was nice enough to send me some advice via email, and I meant to thank him for taking the time to do so, but I cleaned up my inbox and deleted his email accidentally... so, to the guy looking forward to season opening in NY, thanks for the email!

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:53 pm

I would suggest taking your equipment to the nearest pro shop so they can see what you are doing, right or wrong. It may only take minutes to get you dialed in and doing things correctly. Learning archery the right way is so much easier than trying to unlearn bad habits.
Dave M.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:01 pm

It does make sense, you are changing your anchor point and your field of view. Go to full draw and aim as normal, slowly move the string away from your face and you should see that your pin does move on the target.
I would switch to your index finger, I think you will get the most consistent anchor this way and that is the most important thing; your anchor.
Consistency is key to archery, you have to do the same thing, every time.
That is what makes archery so fun and challenging.
Good luck and be patient, it is a learning process and it will all come together with practice.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:16 pm

I think the lesson you should learn from this is if you are going to make any changes to your form, or major equipment, do it as soon as bow season ENDS for the year, not right before!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

vt_archer

Postby vt_archer » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:41 pm

Lesson learned, WW

Thanks for the input, guys

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:28 am

you saying im lying? and isnt that what hunting is? being lucky, with a little input of practice and skill.
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices