Archery Accuracy

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
drdaven

RE: Archery Accuracy

Postby drdaven » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:20 am

Blake,

I know I would certainly never call you or anyone a liar. 
But if I were you, I wouldn't be quite so proud of a 70 yard shot at any living creature.  Way to much can happen at that distance.  A doe may not be as much of a trophy as a bruiser 10 point but I would only hope you will, in the future, practice some restraint at pulling the trigger on anything at that distance unless you are holding a firearm.
Come on....a doe!  You couldn't get any closer? 
I harvest plenty of does every year and I have never, NEVER been forced to take a shot beyond 15 yards.  If you can't get any closer than that, you'd better take up gun hunting instead.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:00 am

I don't care if you can nail the 12 ring all day long with you eyes closed at 70 yards. A shot that far on a deer in the woods is a low percentage, unethical shot with a bow....ANY bow.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:27 pm

Blake, the kind of luck you are referring to isn't the right kind of luck acceptable in hunting. I have a 60,70,& 80 yard pin on my bow, but they are reserved for practice only. Even if you feel sure you could make the shot 8 out of 10 times, I still don't like those odds when dealing with live animals.

Since when does a smidge high = 4-5 inches?

Dave M.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:28 pm

ORIGINAL: Blake Dandurand

you saying im lying? and isnt that what hunting is? being lucky, with a little input of practice and skill.

I'm not calling anyone a liar! That isn't what this forum is about. However, I take issue with the second part of your comment. Your right that hunting is about luck; lucky that we get to go, Lucky that we can share it with others, lucky that we see an animal, NOT lucky we took a bad shot and got away with it. My advice to you would be to either wait for a better shot or move your stands to where the deer are. It's not worth it to wound an animal. You owe it to yourself and the animal your hunting to make sure that a clean shot is made!

My answer the the original question, paper plate at 20 yards. But don't stop there. Practice as often as you can!

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:09 am

A seventy yard shot at a deer is VERY unethical with ANY type of bow. I don't even like to shoot the shotgun at deer that far away!

kighty7

Postby kighty7 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:58 am

I have to say over the years I have been shooting my accuracy has improved a lot with a few things I do. I shoot a few arrows at 20 yards and make sure I am on. If I am on I move to 30 yards and shoot a few arrows. Again if I am on I move to 35 and so on back to 50. I will shoot most of my arrows at 50. I keep my session short and make sure I am concentrating on technique. Also in the winter months I shoot close distances in my basement. I actually shoot the hearts on a deck of playing cards for a challenge. This has really help me to concentrate on my target.Best of luck. Yes, I do use a range finder while I hunt.

Previous

Return to Best Practices