Camouflage Opinions?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
RichardRoyster

Camouflage Opinions?

Postby RichardRoyster » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:03 am

I'm looking to purchase some new camouflage and would really like some thoughts. Rarely do I hunt critters outside of 40 yards. I hunt squirrel, deer, turkey, and rabbit. I'd like to be able to stay quiet and warm. Any thoughts on material? One piece coverall vs. two piece coat/pants? Name brand of camo? Any thoughts on warm, waterproof, quiet boots would be helpful too.

First_Gen

Re: Camouflage Opinions?

Postby First_Gen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:46 pm

I don't want to know how much I have spent on camo, and if I did I probably wouldn't tell you. That being said, I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for."

For warmer weather, I found any camo that blend into your environment and is quite is fine. I feel in love with Rocky for the thin stuff, even has scent control similar to Scent Lok (does it work? not a clue). Very comfortable to. You can tell if what you are buying is going to be quite by just rubbing the material across it self and seeing how much noise it makes. Any Cabelas or Basspro stuff is quite most of the time, as well as cheaper stuff (which is good and that I own and use) that you can buy at Dicks. It all ends up being around the same price either way.

Cold weather, Im a snob. I get cold quick and layer up like crazy. Any combination of Cabelas Revolution Fleece is some of the best for staying warm and dry and windproof for the most part. I also use Walls bibs and Jackets. Its important to note that bibs and jacket is what gives you more maneuverability, I don't recommend pants unless you have a longer jacket to cover up your back. Coveralls are okay, especially when it is cold and windy. The key really is layering, start with good thermals and socks (ECWCS comes to mind, polartech stuff). put whatever else on in between then your outer layer. Maybe not everything in between, but stick with fleeces if you can.

Try on as much as you can and do the rub test on everything you might buy for hunting clothing. Also make sure you can draw your bow, shoot your gun, and maneuver around your stand, or stalk comfortably without feeling too bulky or clumsy.

Hope that helps.

mhouck06

Re: Camouflage Opinions?

Postby mhouck06 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:28 pm

I will agree with the you get what you pay for..

Finally put some money into under armour last year.. Just got back from ohio with morning temps in the 20's and I was a little cold with thermals and the under armour ridge reaper pants and jacket.. but I was able to make due.. Built tough... has held up through two seasons of tough hunting.. I had Scent Loks full season prior to that.. I was very disappointed.. seams were coming apart on the pants.. if you were hard on it... it didnt hold up.. Two full seasons of Under Armour almost in the books and I am very satisfied.

Return to Best Practices