Deer sight

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
sbertram87

Deer sight

Postby sbertram87 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:43 am

Hi how well can deer see at night? Is it as good as day light? I know they move alot at night on clear nigths with full moons, but what about clody nights or nights with half moon. Does any one know how far and how or have proven facts on how well they can see based on differenrt nights that have differenrt moons, clouds, etc
thanks

MoDeer

RE: Deer sight

Postby MoDeer » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:33 pm

I am no expert but up until a few years ago I never used a flashlight to get to my stand in the morning . I would on occasion hear a deer take off from 5 or 10 yards away . Then a few years ago on a cloudy and moonless night I heard a huge bodied deer thunder off from 4 or 5 feet away . I dont think they see much better than us in the dark but if you use a flashlight they will see you coming , if not you might not be safe .

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:45 pm

I've been told that deer can see better at night than we can see with night vision goggles.  Whether this is true or not, I'm not sure.  If it is, that means if you think just being quiet in the woods going into or leaving your stand is just one obstacle you must beat...Slow movements must endure as well.  Deer have more rods in their eyes than us, which enables them to have a lot better night vision.  On the other hand, we have more cones, which enables us to have better color vision.  Hope this helps!
QDM!

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:49 pm

I only use a red light in the dark going in or when I am coming out. Helps on my nite vision too.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:00 am

Here is a pretty good article on deer vision:

http://www.northcountrywhitetails.com/articles/whatdodeersee.htm
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

sbertram87

Postby sbertram87 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:51 am

thanks for the info keep it coming

TwistedX

Postby TwistedX » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:22 pm

I have no evidence or facts for this, but I will say that deer are not as skittish at night leading me to believe that they can see well, maybe not better than the daylight or maybe not great.  Also I have noticed that nights that are cloudy and dark, or have little to no moon are the nights that lead to the best mornings in my experience.  Good luck
Some days you're the dog - some days you're the hydrant.
Anonymous

TwistedX (+)

Return to Best Practices