Shooting Sticks for your bow...

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
WVhunter

Shooting Sticks for your bow...

Postby WVhunter » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi All,
Has anyone ever used any type of shooting stick, bi-pod, tri-pod for shooting your bow???
Thanks...

Woods Walker

RE: Shooting Sticks for your bow...

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:35 pm

???????????  Why?  Is your compound THAT heavy? Are you taking 200 yard shots?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:34 am

Nope...did not even know they make them for bows.  Even so I'll never use one...just defeats the purpose IMHO

crittergitter

Postby crittergitter » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:03 pm

have you ever had the limb on your bow to close to something when you shot ? if so you wouldnt ask that question ! not trying to be a smart a#$ , just dont see how it is possible , too many moving parts that must move freely !

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:42 pm

Knight & Hale makes a type of shooting stick called "Steady Ready". You can find it at Cabelas. It straps to your arm where an arm guard would be, and the telescoping arm rests on your midsection.

To whom it may concern:
No, I don't have,need, or want one. I'm just answering a question.[;)]

Dave M.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:11 pm

Let's not be too critical gentlemen. There may be a legitimate reason behind the question.

The only thing I am aware of is what Bowtechian mentioned. Hope that is useful info to you.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:35 pm

DoeEyed your right, and after posting it occurred to me perhaps there is a good reason he is asking...so my apologies Wvhunter.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Ive never even heard of them, but I just dont think that it would be for me. I like to have all control of my bow. If I get the buck feaver I get it, thats what I live for! I like that feeling, I wouldnt want to get rid of it.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:31 am

Shooting stick/rest could be very useful when dialing in your bow.  I've often thought about the merits of using something like that when trying out new broadheads or new arrows, etc.  No different than shooting a rifle from a rest to adjust the scope. 

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:47 am

ORIGINAL: vipertech

Shooting stick/rest could be very useful when dialing in your bow.  I've often thought about the merits of using something like that when trying out new broadheads or new arrows, etc.  No different than shooting a rifle from a rest to adjust the scope. 

You'll love how I sight my bow in then! I have one of those lasers for sighting in guns that's slides into the barrel so I figured out if you can get a hollow arrow with no tip on it you can insert the laser into the arrow and then line up your sight with the arrow/laser setup in your bow. It's not perfect but it sure gets you dialed in for that initial shot quicker after putting on a new sight. I also was able to do this on my crossbow to zero in the scope initially! As a new bow hunter I was looking for every advantage I could find to shooting straight and so far it's worked pretty well.

Return to Best Practices