Does anyone else hold off?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

Does anyone else hold off?

Postby JPH » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:03 am

I am a micro-property hunter. The largest piece I have access to is 60 acers. I tend to think less is more, but I hear a lot of guys talking about getting into the woods in late-Sept. and early-Oct.

I choose to stay out of my stands during the early season for fear that I will disturb deer that are unseen in the dense underbrush or standing crops. With the possible exception of a cool evening sit along a crop field, I do not plan on hunting for another 3-4 weeks.

Does anyone else out there do this?

hunt4fun

RE: Does anyone else hold off?

Postby hunt4fun » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:09 am

Not exactly.  I choose to hunt only the fringes of land early on.  It's like leaving almost all the land as a sanctuary, then the sanctuary decreases the closer it gets to the rut.  However, this year, our bow season started September 15th and I still have not made it out yet.  It is just so warm still that I have chosen to just dove hunt instead for a while. 

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:15 am

I hunt WI which started Sept 12th this year.  I will not be in a stand until the 2 or 3 weekend in Oct.  This is more due to the warm weather and the fact that I don't live near my land, than it is not trying to alert the deer population.

That's why they call it hunting and not getting

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:59 am

I agree with you, JPH.  I certainly have not hunted before Oct 1 on my property even though the bow season comes in the first week of September.  I figure the freezer is going to fill up just fine by Thanksgiving, and I'd just as soon enjoy other stuff like squirrel, turkey, and dove and I really don't HAVE to be out there in 80F, sweating up a storm.

There's a lot to be said for holding off on your favorite spots and then hunting intensely during the rut.  I've queered stands from over hunting them in the past, and I'm really more interested in a  good hunt and a good clean kill than I am about bow (now crossbow) and any sort of method-related challenge.

I've had too many seasons "spoiled" by tagging out early. I'd just as soon have a tag left at the end of season as be sitting there in Mid-November with the freezer already full and nothing left to shoot.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:42 am

As a ground hunter, I don't usually go until the 2nd or 3rd week of October, when the leaves begin to fall and hopefully we've had a good frost or two to help get the weed growth down a bit. This will be especially true for this season, as with all the rain we had the ragweed around here is 10' to 12' high, and even I, at just a hair under 6', can't even see over the Goldenrod, which has never happened before!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:06 am

Nope, I go out as soon as I can, I usually hunt major food sources early to try and catch a mature buck still in his summer feeding pattern.  If I can not get on a mature buck I will try and harvest a doe or two right away, that way when rut does start to kick in I can focus entirely on bucks and not have to think about putting meat in the freezer.  Besides getting a couple kills in early helps with the confidence level when that magic moment happens to arise.  

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:08 am

Being the land I hunt is close to me, I do a lot of preseason scouting and soon as the season opens, I take advantage of hunting the deer that are still in their summer patterns. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting the rut and later in the season, but I love the sense of accomplishment of patterning deer all summer long. I guess part of it is also that "itch" to get out in the woods ASAP....LOL

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:17 am

ORIGINAL: cutngut85

Being the land I hunt is close to me, I do a lot of preseason scouting and soon as the season opens, I take advantage of hunting the deer that are still in their summer patterns. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting the rut and later in the season, but I love the sense of accomplishment of patterning deer all summer long. I guess part of it is also that "itch" to get out in the woods ASAP....LOL

Agreed!

cdn1

Postby cdn1 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:25 am

I'm am with you JPH I generally wait for the first cooler than normal temps of the season to start hunting seriously. When the temps are high the deer movement is minamal at best. I figure that I might do more harm than good in some cases. Right around our
Cdn Thanksgiving second week in Oct I start to get serious about deer hunting until then
I might hunt the fringes in the evenings on a cool night with a good wind.
Cdn1

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 am

I have been hunting my treestand a couple of times now, and I think I'm gonna keep my "stink" out of there till muzzleloader!
I know this is deer hunting here, but I think I'm gonna try to stick a turkey this w/e and let the woods around my stand settle down for a while.
Maybe when the weather cools down more consistantly, I'll head out with my bow.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Next

Return to Best Practices