Does anyone else hold off?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

RE: Does anyone else hold off?

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:57 am

Are those bait piles?

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:33 am

I usually wait till first frost.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:42 am

ORIGINAL: hilltop
Are those bait piles?

I usually wait till first frost.

I don't know ... they look suspiciously like leftover corn mash from a still. [:D][:D]

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:30 am

It is corn, but I dont hunt near them. I only put the corn out for a few weeks at the beginning of each season to get a general census of what deer we still have around and to see how way off balance our buck/doe ratio is. That particular buck I have been watching for 2 years. Only seen him on the cam pictures. To each their own, but I dont really think its hunting to shoot one over a corn pile. My property backs up to a WMA and the local game warden showed me the trick to put corn and the cam out for a few weeks to get a count. It works great. I have pics of 7 shooter class bucks.........now if I see them once the corn is gone that is another story  :)
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:38 am

Oh.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Oh.

Ah ... yeah ... that's what I thought ... [sm=rolleyes.gif]

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:40 pm

i sense doubt? I do that in the middle of a farm where we leave a 65 acre patch that we created as a sanctuary. althoug it is perfectly legal to hunt over bat in KY I think it takes away from the sport a bit. I have pictures of that buck just about everyday between 6:20 and 7:00......and a few morning pics like the one below.........tempting as it would be to slip up there and stick an arrow in him I dont feel that that would really teach my kids what im trying to teach. Not downing anyone who hunts the box blinds overlooking the automatic feeders but its just not my thing.

-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:17 pm

kykevin ... i sense doubt? ... althoug it is perfectly legal to hunt over bat in KY I think it takes away from the sport a bit.

In the movie "My Cousin Vinny" there is a very funny exchange between Vinny & his fiancée (Mona Lisa) when Vinny, who is going hunting asks her "do you think these pants look okay?"

She replies: "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f*ckin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f*ck what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

You and I may wear different pants ... but the end result is the same. [;)]

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Please keep the language clean.
Thanks!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Previous

Return to Best Practices