Does anyone else hold off?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
OHIOCE

RE: Does anyone else hold off?

Postby OHIOCE » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Never, they are calling for 70% precip./thunderstorms on opening morning (Saturday) so I will be bringing my raincoat.

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:31 am

It is nice to see (or not see) so many of you choosing not to hunt early..... more deer for the rest of us. I hunt from day one on. The hotter the better. We have killed many large bucks that first week or two of the season in all of the states that I hunt. I have killed deer at noon when it has been 98 degrees in Montana on the opener. My nephew and son have already taken wall-hangers this season. The wind is all that matters to me. There are a few areas that I have yet to hunt this year due to the unfavorable winds. When that changes I will be there! Illinois opens next week... I will be there for that as well, regardless of the weather.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:19 am

I choose to stay out of my stands during the early season for fear that I will disturb deer that are unseen in the dense underbrush or standing crops. With the possible exception of a cool evening sit along a crop field, I do not plan on hunting for another 3-4 weeks. Does anyone else out there do this?

Based on a variety of factors, I wait for the first snow or Thanksgiving, whichever comes first.

I especially like the snow. Taking pictures in the summer/fall is okay, but, where the deer are in September, doesn't necessarily mean that that's where they'll be when it gets cold & food availability can be quite different as well as bedding areas etc.

When you have snow on the ground, you know what's in the area, where they come from & where they're going. You can see the doe trails as well as that big buck who's traveling parallel, but separate from the doe's.

Of course, "knowing" doesn't always mean "getting."[:D]

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:54 am

Update:

My stands are hung, my gear is scrubbed clean and packed away in air tight bags, my tags are purchased and we have a glorious high pressure cold front moving in. By this weekend I will have access to two states with open bow seasons. I have to admit that I feel itchy!

The problem is, after starting this thread I can't go back on my word. Fortunately I have a slight shoulder injury that needs rest and will keep me home. Haha!  

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:57 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Update:

My stands are hung, my gear is scrubbed clean and packed away in air tight bags, my tags are purchased and we have a glorious high pressure cold front moving in. By this weekend I will have access to two states with open bow seasons. I have to admit that I feel itchy!

The problem is, after starting this thread I can't go back on my word. Fortunately I have a slight shoulder injury that needs rest and will keep me home. Haha!  

Joe I don't think anyone would find fault with getting itchy and wanting to get in the woods..Saturday is opening day (Antlered all zones) in Jersey, I'll be out come hell or high water!

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:12 pm

My family owns about 220 acres that I hunt and we are fortunate that the backside of it backs up to a WMA that is open for statewide bowhunting. I hunt as much as i can. Just always pick my stand based on wind and other conditions. Alwas use silent odor free entry and exit from stands and never iver hunt one place. I still see plenty of deer and think you just use common sense you should be fine. As far as tagging out to early, we never know when that one buck will walk by. If that dream bucks walks out on opening day I will shoot him just the same as if he walks out the last day. Just being in the woods is what its really about for me. My pope and young collection is just the bonus  :)

-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:10 pm

If that dream bucks walks out on opening day I will shoot him just the same as if he walks out the last day. Just being in the woods is what its really about for me.

Nice photo ... however, judging by the condition of the flora and fauna in the photo, I'm guessing the date & time on your Stealth Cam isn't correct.

Do you remember when the photo was actually taken ... approximate date? [sm=rolleyes.gif]

My family owns about 220 acres that I hunt and we are fortunate that the backside of it backs up to a WMA that is open for statewide bowhunting.

Color me jealous ... [:o]

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Yes and No... I have a few stands that I wont hunt till later in the year... IE:Dec Stand, End of Oct Stand, Rut Stand.. However I just cant give up days because Im afraid to scare deer off. I feel that hunting a early season stand can also pay off on big bucks that arnt use to the pressure yet. Having a few stands gives me a few options and allows me to hunt the deer early in the season and hit up an unhunted stand later in the year.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:53 pm

yea dates a little off on that pic. was 12 days ago. I have since actually set the time and date on thatcamera. was kinda frustrating having 1300 pictures and no dates and times.........as you see in this pic the problem has been corrected

-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:28 pm

ORIGINAL: kykevin

That one looks ready for plucking ...

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices