When to leave

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
sbertram87

When to leave

Postby sbertram87 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:22 am

Hi this past Saturday bow hunting opend and i only got to go last night. At 7:35pm a doe and fawn came out and i am not shooting does or fawns so they got to live and went away from my santd. Season ended at 7:45pm it was getting really dark but there was a some light left. So as i was came out of the treestand i looked back and saw 2 deer looking at me and they were 60 yards away. So i came down and they both ran away my guess is they were a doe and fawn.

My question is when do you leave the stand? Do you leave once it is total dark or do you leave with some light left?

Thanks

4khorn

RE: When to leave

Postby 4khorn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:49 am

I hunt until the end of legal shooting time. Then I will take 10 mins or so to pack up and get down. I like to have a bit of light when walking through the woods, but will sometimes wait til it is totally dark before stepping out into the open fields.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:11 am

For me, it all depends.  For sure I am there till the cover of darkness...But sometimes, like what happ to me last Sunday, I had deer under me for quite a while after dark eating acorns, so I just sat in my stand till I thought they went away.  The last thing you want to do is have a deer see you get up and down from a tree, but it does happen and isn't the end of the world.
QDM!

sbertram87

Postby sbertram87 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:53 am

Hi every one thanks for the answers so far keep them coming

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:08 am

I am up there until after dark if i see anything at all. If i have not seen anything all night i will get down after legal shooting hours are over.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Typically, I'll stay out until it's too dark to see well enough to shoot. In the woods, that's usually a bit before legal time is over but due to the cover of the trees, it gets darker a little sooner around some of my stands. If deer are around at this time, I try to wait until they leave.

USNavyChiefRet

Postby USNavyChiefRet » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:37 pm

I usually wait until it's past legal shooting hours then pack up and get down out of the stand, by that time it's usually darker. Last week I hunted up at my daughter & son-in-laws place. I waited until legal shooting hrs were over, got down, untied my bow from the haul line and mistakenly left my Thermacell laying on the ground right next to the ladder. I got about half way to my truck when I realized I has left it laying there, duh!, so had to walk back to get it. When I got to the house my son-in-law acted kind of funny and said "I was just about to go look for you". I said "well, I stayed till last light". I was glad he was worried about me, for all he knew I could have been hanging upside down from my safety harness. I talked with my wife later and she said my son-in-law was really worried about me Image which is O.K. with me, I'm glad someone is looking out for this ole chief! Bad part was I didn't see a deer all afternoon! Oh well, I got to see some turkeys come back to roost and I know right where their at!!
USNavyChiefRet

smitty

Postby smitty » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:01 pm

I like to stay until its to late to shoot.  I hate to spook deer when Im leaving or when Im going to my stand.  I think that makes me more than a little hesitant about hunting in the AM around my food plots.
"Freedom Isn't Free"

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:02 pm

I try to wait it out till I cant see anymore. However once legal shooting time has ended Ill un nock the arrow, or unload my gun. Then I will get down and head for the car, I am usally still very quite and try to sound like a deer while walking, by pausing. If I need my flashlight I will point it to the ground and follow the tail. I feel that waiting it out till dark gives me the lease chance of spooking a deer. Infact, one year while walking out I came with in 7 yards of a deer. It was looking at me but had no idea what I was, she finally ran off after I got at 7 yards.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to Best Practices