Rain?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
1Morgan

Rain?

Postby 1Morgan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:01 am

The rain just started and it looks like its going to be here all afternoon/evening. Should I hit the stand now or wait a while?
South Carolina Low Country

OHhunter

RE: Rain?

Postby OHhunter » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:27 am

I'm headed out in the next 20 min or so, heavy rain all day. Has turned into a pretty light drizzle now. I'll hunt in light rain but normally avoid going out in the heavy stuff.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Whitetailaddict

Postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:24 am

I love hunting in the rain, and will be out there in a heart beat if it's raining. and I love how you can ghost through the woods. also if i'm going to put up a stand or doing some in season scouting i want it to be raining or having just rained because it's way quieter, your scent gets washed away and you don't spook as many deer. deer move really well in a light rain and just after a rain too. i love it.

postman

Postby postman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Rain is the best time to still hunt.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:46 pm

ORIGINAL: postman

Rain is the best time to still hunt.

Yup! Their senses of hearing, sight, AND smell are compromised. It's tough with the bow, but during gun season I don't miss a second of hunting on a rainy day. Or WIND for that matter. Wind has the added advantage of concentrating the deer in a wind sheltered area, thus eliminating a lot of the potential area that you'd normally find them in.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:03 pm

I tend not to bow hunt in the rain. Difficult to follow a blood trail. Ohio bow season is 4 months long.  No need to hunt in the rain.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:05 am

This year in one of my lrg brushed in deer blinds I put a lrg umbrella...I pounded in a post and camo painted the blk and green material and then zip tied it to the post...now when I go out in the rain.... waiting for it to easy up before I'll actually think of shooting ...during bow.... I can stay dry...in the snow...I wont end up covered and colder...I've gotten some nice buck right before and right after a good rain...I love foggy days too...for bow

Return to Best Practices