Farm Land Hunting Advice Please!

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
MI_bowhunter

Farm Land Hunting Advice Please!

Postby MI_bowhunter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:12 am

I've grown up hunting deep woods, so I'm a novice farm land hunter.  This season I've aquired a new piece of land to hunt.  Picture is below (black rectangle is the area I can hunt).  There is a small creek that runs through the south section of the property (thicker tree line running east/west).  On the far north, is a clump of thickets I assume a main bedding area (also contains some nice apple trees).  Decent sections of woods to the north and west.  Tree lines are THICK.  Current problem I have is that everything is standing corn, so I can't glass to see what's out there and how they are moving through the area.  I know there are some nice deer in this area though.  If you were targeting a mature buck, how would you approach this area?  Here are my thoughts..

1.  Set a stand on the far north section, right where there is a break in the treeline running north/south (hunt SW winds).
2.  Hunt somewhere along the creek (with N or NW winds).

Should I hunt field edge or slightly in the tree-lines a bit?  Should I wait to hunt until the corn is down?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

DeanoZ

RE: Farm Land Hunting Advice Please!

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:33 am

I'm a big woods hunter too and have little farm hunting experience, but if it were me I would find a tree with a good vantage point, climb it and do some glassing in the early morning/late afternoon so you can try to pattern them.  You could hunt the edges but truthfully that strip of woods running north/south is the perfect funnel allowing the deer to move concealed between the larger tracks to the north and south.  If you have soft mast (apples) in the northern strip and water to the south I'd feel confident in saying the deer will be moving between the two.  I don't necessarily think either of the spots you chose are bad but if they are in fact bedding in that clump to the north positioning yourself on the edge might just be too close for comfort and you may risk bumping them.  Also take note of the little point/island of woods about halfway down and to the east of your black box...it seems to connect to the larger tract to the east...would not surprise me if you find deer moving between your strip and that clump to get to and from the larger tract to the east.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:37 am

My thoughts and questions:

Does the rectangle relate to any property lines? Your boundries are pecular in relation to the tree lines,etc. Just wondering.

Assuming the open areas are corn, you will be challenged. Deer will be spending a great deal of time in there. The long treeline on the right may serve as a travel corridor, and I wouldn't be surprised if you found many trails crossing in and out of the corn all along it. One thing bucks cannot do in corn is a lot of scraping and rubbing.

I would look for, and thoroughly scout, any patches of grass or other soft browse that stick out no matter the size.

Consider going after them in the corn.

Trail cameras.

MI_bowhunter

Postby MI_bowhunter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:53 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

My thoughts and questions:

Does the rectangle relate to any property lines? Your boundries are pecular in relation to the tree lines,etc. Just wondering.

Assuming the open areas are corn, you will be challenged. Deer will be spending a great deal of time in there. The long treeline on the right may serve as a travel corridor, and I wouldn't be surprised if you found many trails crossing in and out of the corn all along it. One thing bucks cannot do in corn is a lot of scraping and rubbing.

I would look for, and thoroughly scout, any patches of grass or other soft browse that stick out no matter the size.

Consider going after them in the corn.

Trail cameras.

Yes, the boundry is the property line (strange for sure).  There is a patch of grass/soft browse on the inside corner of where the north/south tree line and creek tree-line meet at a 45 degree angle.  Also, there is grass up on the NW end of the bedding clump to the north. There are a ton of rubs up there.  Is it too close to bedding to hunt up there? 

You know, I've always wanted to still hunt in the corn...but it seems very tough.  Any tips other than going on a very windy or rainy day?  I plan to put out a trail camera tomorrow mid-day. 

smitty

Postby smitty » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:12 am

What a neat post.  I like to think I would concentrate on the treeline intersections, just for their funnel value.  Do you think the neighbors would let you approach any of your stands from their property?
"Freedom Isn't Free"

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:15 am

I hunt 2 pieces of farmland in NJ and 1 in VA. From my experiences, I hunt the field edges toward inside corners. I place my stand about 50 yards away from the corner and about 3-5 yards into the treeline. This is what has worked best for me. I have noticed that 90% of the time, deer will enter from those inside corners. I also do have some stands set up in the woods, but I've never really had luck in those stands until the rut kicks in.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:19 am

Well there are some pieces of the puzzle that I would like to have before I can give a really good answer. Can you cross through the adjoining properties to reach your stand? Is that map oriented N to S (I'll assume so)? May I assume a prevailing W wind where you are?

Even without this information I can tell you this. If you are hunting for a mature buck, standing corn is going to hurt you. There are some here who will disagree but I would hang my stands and get out of there until the corn is out or the rut is on, which ever comes first.

When the time comes, I would want three stands in place:

A) One in the "cross roads" at the bottom of the photo. This is to be hunted on a NW wind, any time of day.
B) One at the break in the tree line, on the east side, at the very top of your property. This is for hunting on a W, NW, or SW wind, early mornings.
C. One in the line of trees running off to the west, about mid-way through the property. This is for E winds.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:21 am

I hunt the field edges toward inside corners.

YUP!!!!  Without actually being there, and seeing things that are impossible to see on a photo, those two words....inside corners....would be as sure a thing as one could expect at this point.

Intensive scouting next March is in order here.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

MI_bowhunter

Postby MI_bowhunter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:40 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Well there are some pieces of the puzzle that I would like to have before I can give a really good answer. Can you cross through the adjoining properties to reach your stand? Is that map oriented N to S (I'll assume so)? May I assume a prevailing W wind where you are?

Even without this information I can tell you this. If you are hunting for a mature buck, standing corn is going to hurt you. There are some here who will disagree but I would hang my stands and get out of there until the corn is out or the rut is on, which ever comes first.

When the time comes, I would want three stands in place:

A) One in the "cross roads" at the bottom of the photo. This is to be hunted on a NW wind, any time of day.
B) One at the break in the tree line, on the east side, at the very top of your property. This is for hunting on a W, NW, or SW wind, early mornings.
C. One in the line of trees running off to the west, about mid-way through the property. This is for E winds.

Guys, first off....thanks for the suggestions, this is great!!  I can walk through the property to the East (about the same property size as I'm allowed to hunt)....but will inquire to the West as well.  The map is orientated N to S...and prevailing winds are from the West.

I like the advice of setting up now, then leaving it until the corn comes down or rut kicks in (which ever comes first).  I know there is a mature buck in there now (tracks, neighbors saw him late spring).  I just don't want to risk him winding me while in the corn...because he could be anywhere in there.  However, I may hunt the "cross roads/creek"  inside corner once or twice pre-rut when I get a NW wind.

What about still hunting the corn assuming the conditions are right?  Anyone had any luck doing this? 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:43 am

Something else I was wondering...how aand at what point are you entering the area to hunt?

Next

Return to Best Practices