Farm Land Hunting Advice Please!

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
TwistedX

RE: Farm Land Hunting Advice Please!

Postby TwistedX » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:48 am

I hunt a piece of property in OHio that is really similar. The spot that is just south of the large track of woods (the bedding area) works for me in addition to everything that JPH said.
Some days you're the dog - some days you're the hydrant.
Anonymous

TwistedX (+)

MI_bowhunter

Postby MI_bowhunter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:50 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

Something else I was wondering...how aand at what point are you entering the area to hunt?

That's most of my problem!!  My only current access is to the south.  I can walk right in the middle of the tree-line (old farmers trail) until I get to the creek crossing....after that I have to walk the tree lines or through the field. 

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:10 am

I agree on the post re the inside corners. Give those a good look.

And JPH is right, hunting a mature animal will be extra tough, so the rut is most likely your best bet as these days they tend to leave the corn up as long as possible depending on its moisture content. You may want to go and ask when they think they might cut it. And, if by chance you can be there when they'e combining, be in any stand where they will cut towards you. OR, if you think you have a trail frequented by a big one identified, I would be over that one while they're cutting.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:27 am

MI_bowhunter,
Ahh.....a fellow farmland hunter.  I think I can assist.

Let me preface this by stating I hunted in some sweet rolling hills / bluffs Wisconsin land for 12 years before moving to MN and my current piece of heaven (flat, farmland, next to zero trees). 

It's taken me quite awhile to figure it out....still learning it.

Anyway, here goes.  As stated above, be sure to put stands on all inside corners (yellow dots). 

Possible mid day spot near the creek as well...depends on what other water sources you have.

Still hunting corn.  I've done it a few times.  Never saw a deer doing it, but advise to do it on breezy days when the deer won't be able to hear you.

Best of luck!

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:41 am

ORIGINAL: MI_bowhunter

ORIGINAL: JPH

Well there are some pieces of the puzzle that I would like to have before I can give a really good answer. Can you cross through the adjoining properties to reach your stand? Is that map oriented N to S (I'll assume so)? May I assume a prevailing W wind where you are?

Even without this information I can tell you this. If you are hunting for a mature buck, standing corn is going to hurt you. There are some here who will disagree but I would hang my stands and get out of there until the corn is out or the rut is on, which ever comes first.

When the time comes, I would want three stands in place:

A) One in the "cross roads" at the bottom of the photo. This is to be hunted on a NW wind, any time of day.
B) One at the break in the tree line, on the east side, at the very top of your property. This is for hunting on a W, NW, or SW wind, early mornings.
C. One in the line of trees running off to the west, about mid-way through the property. This is for E winds.

Guys, first off....thanks for the suggestions, this is great!!  I can walk through the property to the East (about the same property size as I'm allowed to hunt)....but will inquire to the West as well.  The map is orientated N to S...and prevailing winds are from the West.

I like the advice of setting up now, then leaving it until the corn comes down or rut kicks in (which ever comes first).  I know there is a mature buck in there now (tracks, neighbors saw him late spring).  I just don't want to risk him winding me while in the corn...because he could be anywhere in there.  However, I may hunt the "cross roads/creek"  inside corner once or twice pre-rut when I get a NW wind.

What about still hunting the corn assuming the conditions are right?  Anyone had any luck doing this? 

Yes we have taken deer and passed on others in the corn. It can be work, and it takes patience. Here is my general take on it:

A little breeze that rustles the corn is ideal. As is hunting cross row/into the wind. For bow, nock an arrow if you want, but it just makes it harder. You're either gonna get a shot or not.

Stick just your head in a row and peek left and right. Have your binos at hand. When you clear a row, glass as much of the next row and all around you just as you would any other thick cover. Step to the next row and repeat. Take your time. Oviously for a right handed shooter, it would be nice to be anticipating a shot to your left.

Deer almost always bed lengthwise in a row, so they're either looking towards you or away from you. The nature of corn is such that depending on the distance, deer sometimes have as much trouble seeing us as we have seeing them.

I have seen many deer of multiple age classes so secure in corn that they hold tight even when they have identified you.

If find one you want to go for, back off several rows and plan your approach accordingly. They have no problem cutting cross rows either if they think thats what they need to do, which sometimes puts them standing broadside in a row, so be ready. If (when) you're busted, it ain't over til it's over. They think they own the corn, and they're right, but we have the big brains and the opposable thumbs right? [:D] 

MI_bowhunter

Postby MI_bowhunter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:59 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

ORIGINAL: MI_bowhunter

ORIGINAL: JPH

Well there are some pieces of the puzzle that I would like to have before I can give a really good answer. Can you cross through the adjoining properties to reach your stand? Is that map oriented N to S (I'll assume so)? May I assume a prevailing W wind where you are?

Even without this information I can tell you this. If you are hunting for a mature buck, standing corn is going to hurt you. There are some here who will disagree but I would hang my stands and get out of there until the corn is out or the rut is on, which ever comes first.

When the time comes, I would want three stands in place:

A) One in the "cross roads" at the bottom of the photo. This is to be hunted on a NW wind, any time of day.
B) One at the break in the tree line, on the east side, at the very top of your property. This is for hunting on a W, NW, or SW wind, early mornings.
C. One in the line of trees running off to the west, about mid-way through the property. This is for E winds.

Guys, first off....thanks for the suggestions, this is great!!  I can walk through the property to the East (about the same property size as I'm allowed to hunt)....but will inquire to the West as well.  The map is orientated N to S...and prevailing winds are from the West.

I like the advice of setting up now, then leaving it until the corn comes down or rut kicks in (which ever comes first).  I know there is a mature buck in there now (tracks, neighbors saw him late spring).  I just don't want to risk him winding me while in the corn...because he could be anywhere in there.  However, I may hunt the "cross roads/creek"  inside corner once or twice pre-rut when I get a NW wind.

What about still hunting the corn assuming the conditions are right?  Anyone had any luck doing this? 

Yes we have taken deer and passed on others in the corn. It can be work, and it takes patience. Here is my general take on it:

A little breeze that rustles the corn is ideal. As is hunting cross row/into the wind. For bow, nock an arrow if you want, but it just makes it harder. You're either gonna get a shot or not.

Stick just your head in a row and peek left and right. Have your binos at hand. When you clear a row, glass as much of the next row and all around you just as you would any other thick cover. Step to the next row and repeat. Take your time. Oviously for a right handed shooter, it would be nice to be anticipating a shot to your left.

Deer almost always bed lengthwise in a row, so they're either looking towards you or away from you. The nature of corn is such that depending on the distance, deer sometimes have as much trouble seeing us as we have seeing them.

I have seen many deer of multiple age classes so secure in corn that they hold tight even when they have identified you.

If find one you want to go for, back off several rows and plan your approach accordingly. They have no problem cutting cross rows either if they think thats what they need to do, which sometimes puts them standing broadside in a row, so be ready. If (when) you're busted, it ain't over til it's over. They think they own the corn, and they're right, but we have the big brains and the opposable thumbs right? [:D] 

Squirrelhawker, that's excellent bit of advice!  Thank you!!  I will give this a try if the conditions are right.  I've always wanted to try this. 

Patriot, thanks for dropping some points on the map, visuals always help. 

I can't thank you guys enough...I'm excited to get out there.  I have the resident land owner on watch for combines....and I will have to get "sick" and leave work for the day if they are start early!!  Thanks again.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:55 am

Nothing beats scouting, but inside corners and funnels are great.  Just by looking at the map I can see both.  I especially like that line of trees that runs north and south...I'd bet on that!
QDM!

MI_bowhunter

Postby MI_bowhunter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:30 am

Agreed, nothing beats scouting.  I just want to key-in on a few potential hot spots for this season then comb the entire area come February/March and really get some good spots set up. 

Funnels and corners...what more could you ask for!?!?  Although...I really wish it were beans instead of corn....but I can't complain. 

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:14 pm

This piece of property is prime bread and butter to me. I love hunting these thick, wide tree lines surrounded by a jungle of corn on both sides, or one beans and one corn sure draws deer due to the high protien, and oilseed beans. this tree line looks off the beaten path of hunting pressure, and is an excellent spot where big mature bucks chase does, and this is usually the area of "lock-down". I have several Tree lines exactly like this, which are actually very simple, and basic to hunt. I suggest setting out cameras on the field edge, which is usually the main trail for deer, especially between the trees and corn, and use the pics to figure out a pattern, and what deer frequent the area. I like to hang my stand in a position where I can shoot towards either side of the line, so im not stuck on one side while the deer pass behind me. Try to find this spot near the creek intersection, the spot where the two lines make a T, and right on the south end of the lot of trees. Setting up on the intersections increases your odds of getting a chance at any deer which may come from those other tree lines. You truelly have a jewel of a spot here, I know these kind of scenarios kick out some big deer, with high percentages of getting up close and personal, good luck with it!

"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:17 pm

oh for dumb, I shoulda read Patriot's post before I posted, haha. He has already pointed out the spots which I was suggesting. Of course he has this nailed down though, being a fellow minnesota farmland hunter and all, haha. basically listen to patriot and you will do great.
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices