Saying Thanks

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Sierra

Saying Thanks

Postby Sierra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:32 pm

I thought it might be a good idea to write a thank-you card to the landowners (and friends of my fiance.. and mine too now) that permit us to hunt their land. As far as a present, I hope to offer deer meat if I am fortunate, and a gift basket. So, the card is done, the gift basket purchased and I can't wait to bring it over there. We'll see about that meat maybe.

What do you guys do to say thanks for access to hunting spots?
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Deebz

Re: Saying Thanks

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:42 pm

pretty much the same... a thank you card and a bag of meat when I'm successful. Last year we killed 5 deer (on 2 properties) between my wife and myself. I took the landowner a roast, a package of backstraps, a package of deer sticks, and a summer sausage...

If I don't get a deer, a case of beer is the number 2 choice for the guy who lets me hunt. (that's obviously not the best choice for everyone though...)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:55 pm

Not exactly what you asked about, but close. My neighbor across the street keeps an eye on my farm, as I don't live there full time.
Sam's Club has nice food baskets for around $40.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

w4sar

Postby w4sar » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:57 am

I so the same for the two landowners whose adjacent properties I hunt. I offer meat if they want it (the one who hunts declines if he has been successful), and bring them jerky and sausage which is never turned down. They also greatly appreciate receiving fish fillets from me after my summer vacation as they do not have that opportunity themselves.

Lastly, I always make my stands available to them and their friends/family whenever requested, which is not often , but I *am* their guest.

One bonus this tear was when one landowner asked if I could guide a Wounded Warrior Hunt on his property using my stands. I said H*ll yeah!", and guided two vets, one of whom was successful. I had a blast doing it, and got an opportunity to get to know more of the surrounding landowners a lot better.

Whatever you can do to show gratitude for the privilege of hunting someone else's land, do it.
David J. Snyder
Orange County, NC

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:57 am

I know most of the Land Owners that let us Coyote Hunt and whenever I see them at a Picnic or Bar I always "Thank" Them and usually buy them a drink,I also find out what they like and give them some different types of micro-wave Popcorn to use or other things that I know they could use.I also respect Their Land and never leave trash behind and usually pick up anything laying around,if I see a limb laying across a fence line I take it off or if a fence is down and needs serious repair I'll tell the Farmer where it's at so their Cattle doesn't get out!

We also park where they want us to so we don't rut up their Land if it's wet or muddy out,we also offered to help them do work if they needed any?I gave several of the Land Owners Wife's a Big Ol Box of baking good before Christmas for them to use also because they have been so generous for letting Us enjoy their Land....!I've taken some beautiful pictures too while sitting out in the middle of no where of Rainbows,old Farm Equipment,old Farm Houses that are still standing and of several that are just Stone foundations left behind.

If You find beauty in Your surrounds the Hunt is just part of why were out there,make the best of the Outdoors and enjoy the Wildlife and scenery too!

Return to Best Practices