Early season calling

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
nhdeerchaser

Early season calling

Postby nhdeerchaser » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:18 am

Hey everyone!

Our bow season starts on Tuesday here in NH! Besides being very pumped, I have a question regarding calling to early season deer.
Do any of you have success using fawn bleats this time of year? Also what kind of doe call should I use. Just a social call, or should I not bother with either of them so early in the season.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Patriot

RE: Early season calling

Postby Patriot » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:29 am

I think fawn bleats/fawn in distress calls are a good option for early season hunting.  I've used fawn in distress calls in the past to call visible does that were heading away from me.  Once in a while, they'll come running.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:47 pm

What he said.  I've had great luck with using fawn bleats, and distress calls this time of year, even though I personally don't call that much till mid to late October.  But, they can be successful!
QDM!

TwistedX

Postby TwistedX » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:01 pm

I have been looking all over for a spot to buy a fawn in distress call any suggestions?
Bass pro was fresh out along with dicks wal mart is out too.
opener is on Saturday was wanting it by then internet probably won't let it happen.
Some days you're the dog - some days you're the hydrant.
Anonymous

TwistedX (+)

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Gander Mountain has them.  I'm blessed to have one 5 miles from my house. They have lots of good toys.

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:01 pm

Instead of having to go out and buy one, you probably already have one. If you have a grunt call which you can pull the reed out of the barrel of the call, all you have to do is move the o-ring (if it is equipped with it) up to fawn bleat, or estrous bleat, varies by the call. This is what I do to produce my fawn calls and it works very effectively. just give the fawn bleat an added drawn out distressed tone, and it will sound like a fawn in dire need of help. This is an inexpensive way, and a convenient way to use the call for it is right there, all in one with you grunt call, and your bleat call.
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

Return to Best Practices