Early Season Attractant Scent??

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
shadow

Early Season Attractant Scent??

Postby shadow » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:37 pm

Does anyone use any type of attractant scent during the early season? And what do you use?
Is there anything that can be used?

Personally, I usually do not use anything until mid to late October, then I'll go with Trails End then swithcing to doe in estrous in November.

What do you use through the season?

NYarcher

RE: Early Season Attractant Scent??

Postby NYarcher » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:49 pm

I am the same way when I do use scents. Trails end for the pre-rut switching to doe in estrous when the rut is swinging. The reason I dont use scents in early season is because deer are more patternable. Here in NY they are still in that late summer feeding pattern. With proper scouting you can really put yourself in a sweet spot as long as mother nature doesnt throw that weather curve ball. Once we get that first good frost all bets are off. My hunting pattern - early season, food sources - mid season (rutting phases), travel corridors - late season, food sources again. But mid and late seasons scents seem to be affective IMO.
Venison - the other red meat

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:18 am

I have and some other guys around have been seeing bucks sparring.....so the first week I'll put buck urine and or the billy goats scent near my decoy...I'll put the smaller rack on it at first to see whats around

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:11 am

Does that work well for ya msbadger? Doesnt sound like a bad idea.. I havent used any during the early season. I guess I get a little "scared" to use them. I do however use the Black Widdow Doe Pee come Nov. Ive had pretty good luck with it.. I know some of you may not be fermilure with it, so heres a link to their site if anyone wanted to check it out..http://www.blackwidowdeerlures.com/

It's VERY strong stuff, Ill tell ya that haha
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:09 pm

yes ...only with decoy...to many bow hunters scenting....they need the decoy with scent to come in

TwistedX

Postby TwistedX » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:53 pm

This is the first year that I'll be using early season scents. I will be using tinks doe urine not any kind of estrous or anything. I was told that it should make them less nervous, supposedly it will make them more comfortable. Once Nov. gets here I'll use tinks 69 doe in estrous, trying to attract them.
Some days you're the dog - some days you're the hydrant.
Anonymous

TwistedX (+)

RNC

Postby RNC » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:34 pm

I use frsh earth scent waffers all year as a cover scent, just pin them to my pants. For an early season attractant the best luck I have had is pure vanilla. I have had deer smell it then ignore it, does and fawns fight over it to eat it and had bucks rub on it. While its no sure thing I have also never had a deer go on alert from it.
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

Return to Best Practices