Time in Stand

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
TwistedX

Time in Stand

Postby TwistedX » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:56 pm

How long do you normally sit in the stand?
Some days you're the dog - some days you're the hydrant.
Anonymous

TwistedX (+)

DeanoZ

RE: Time in Stand

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:39 pm

Depends...prerut morning until about 1100, afternoons from 1500 to sundown...during the rut I'll sit all day...post rut afternoons only 1400 to Sundown

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:21 pm

Normally the first couple hours of the morning (if I can drag my sorry carcass out of bed)....then the last 2-3 hours of daylight.  Rut...all day if I can.  Gun season...all day if I can.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:48 am

3-5 hours, give or take. Twice a day when I can.

My all day hunts are usually a series of sits rather than one marathon session.

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:17 am

I stay in stand about 4-5 hours at a time.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:02 am

Early season, I'll sit 3-4 hours before dark if I can...or after first light if I hunt the morning, which I rarely do in the early season.  Rut, all day for sure!  I have no problem with it either...You hear of a lot of hunters having problems sitting all day but not this guy....Feel blessed! 
QDM!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:20 pm

During Bow Season I usually sit in my stand 3-4 hours in the morning and the same amount in the evening,if its cooler weather and in October or November I stay in my stand in the mornings til 11:00 or 12:00...if the Deer don't move early in the morning that usually means they've already headed back to their bedding area early and they will get up again around 11:00 or 12:00 to feed again or get a drink?If it is Rifle/Gun Deer Season if I don't see any Deer in the early morning I stay in the stand til 12:00,get down and stretch a little and maybe take a rest/nap and go back up til dark! 

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Hunting is my passion, so I try to get out as long as I can. But in early bow season (ours starts next Saturday), I'll get out before first light and sit on the stand until around 11:00. After that it starts getting warm (we're still in the 80's here in SW Ohio in late Sept/early October) and things slow down as the deer are bedded. If I can get out again for a late afternoon hunt, I may hunt for about 3 hours (until sunset). It kind of worries me with the warm weather and the meat spoiling, so my theory is if I get one in the a.m., then I track it ASAP and get it on ice right away. If I kill one in afternoon, pretty much the same is done, but at least the evening is cooler so I feel a little better that the meat will not spoil as quick and I will butcher it up that night. But once temps get in 50's or lower, I will sit all day as many days that I get a chance.

The time flies for me, so luckily 8+ hour sits (with a break for lunch in my truck and/or a quick stalk around some of the property perimeter to stretch my legs) are not a problem. To me the 8+ hours go too fast. My wife is great about deer hunting season and doesn't mind if I disappear all day every Saturday during deer season. It gives her a chance to hang out with her parents more and go shopping and do 'girl stuff' without feeling guilty that she is blowing off me or the kids on a weekend (makes me not feel guilty too). And the kids get to hang with grandma and grandpa so they are happy too because they are getting spoiled by them. We do tons of family stuff all year - I make them my first priority, so during hunting season it's 'all good'. Plus I have tons of vacation days so while the kids are at school and wifey is at work, I'm able to get in a tree all day! I'm a lucky guy!

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:03 am

Early season, I hunt till around 10 or so. I'm not much of an afternoon hunter.
Tommorow, I'll be on stand for a long time! We are gonna have morning temps in the 30's! I am sooooooo pumped!
I was gonna bow hunt turkey, but with that temp, I should have decent deer movement!
I'm taking my vacation the week of thanksgiving this year. The buck I shot at last year I called in the last day of the season, and the buck my friend killed, was dropped the w/e after thanksgiving.
We seem to get good buck movement that week.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:38 am

In the mornings i will usually sit for two hours, after that it depends on deer movement. I don't leave until I have not seen a deer for atleast an hour. Evenings I get in about 2 1/2 hours before dark.

Next

Return to Best Practices