Does anyone make deer trails?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
flatheadnut

Does anyone make deer trails?

Postby flatheadnut » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:00 am

I have read that deer take the path of least resistance. I place my stands based on trail intersections that I think are leading to bedding areas. While hanging stands and cutting shooting lanes this last weekend I also did a little scouting. I found trails running every direction. I placed the stands 20 yards off the intersections of what appear to be the most used trails. These trails were thick with saplings. I got the idea to widen them and make a deer highway. I got to work and mowed an east/west trail through the wood lot along the the major east/west trail and did the same for the most used north/south trail. Did I mess up?
Hunt safe, hunt often, hunt ethically, and don't forget to say Thank You!

DeerCamp

RE: Does anyone make deer trails?

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:36 am

Umm If your season starts on Oct 1st and you are NOT hunting for meat, but hunting for antlers.. I would say you may have messed up.. I would of had all my lanes cut months ago and stands hung then. I would keep the stand there and just leave it as it is now.. You still should be able to see deer though.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:13 am

Well, as it isn't IDEAL, I don't think you're in too bad of shape.  Let the area calm down a bit, and I'm sure after a while the deer will start using that path if it's good to go to and from their bedding and food.  When does your season open up?  I usually get all my work done in the spring before green-up, then it sits all summer un-disturbed and the deer get used to it.  I'll check my stands a month or so before the season starts and cut away any limbs that may be in the way for my shooting lanes.  Just think, LOW IMPACT! :)

Best of luck!
QDM!

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:14 am

I don't think you messed up if you still have at least a month till the start of the season. What you cut will start to grow back with new growth and could actually attract deer of all types. I do agree that older wiser bucks may make their own trailer just off the main trail, keep an eye out for that to happen. If the area around those trails are thick deer are still going to use them. We bush hog our camp trails about a month before each deer season and the next morning we see deer tracks in the trails we just bush hogged. What I have learned is deer are indeed curious animals. I think if you leave the area alone from now until deer season you'll have no problems with seeing deer in the area when the season starts.

flatheadnut

Postby flatheadnut » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:14 am

Season opens September 21st. I might go once near the end of September to try and get some meat for the freezer, but will really leave it alone until the third week of October. Thanks 69Viking, that's very encouraging, and it was just that sort of behavior that I read about that made me think to do it. I also droped a mineral block at each intersection. The deer don't have a food source on the farm, and so I was hoping to draw them in with that.

thanks for the help.
Hunt safe, hunt often, hunt ethically, and don't forget to say Thank You!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:21 am

The only way you'll find out if you messed up is to hunt it and see what happens.  I had a small piece of land leased about 15 years ago that was a long abandoned farm which had an old rusted barbed wire fence running along an old farm road.  The deer kept crossing the fence near the low point in the land.  So, I went and cut two segments of wire completely away from the fence and the deer turned it into a super deer highway.  They would walk along the fence for 75-100 yards just to cross where the wire was gone.  I took a few does and a nice 9 point before the land was developed. 

In my experience,If it works for you, it will work well.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:57 am

Deer are like us, they love the path of least resistance!
QDM!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:27 am

I made a nice clear path/trail behind my ladder stand early this year in Jan, and Feb...went about 20 yards behind the stand into the woods and the Deer have been using it ever since.I even went in there about a month ago with my large gas powered weed trimmer and cleaned up some of the heavy under growth that built up over the summer...still have plenty of pictures of Deer walking down it to the salt/mineral lick where my trail camera is set up.I also made a trail from the open Ridge Field where my ladder stand is down to the next bottom field and the deer have been using that trail as well and there is another older trail the Deer have along an old creek bed,I simply walked it and trimmed off any lower growth and branches that would cause your scent to be rubbed onto and made the path easier and more quiet to travel.I have seen many Deer walking our old logging roads and misc trails where we brush hog too.

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:08 am

Not only creating trails (funnels), but also blocking areas you do not want them to go. I too create trails by either making sections of fence higher so they cross at only one spot or cutting the fences to create a small trail.  I even cut trails through my corn fields to make areas of least resistance  for deer to travel.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:27 am

2miles + and I have deer all over the place....This weekend....VERY LATE........But the guys don't bow hunt....we went to camp....I set to work with the DR and mowed a trail to Mr. B.'s stand then a couple of walk and stalk trails up above him and to the road....I then went to my stand and started there...The mower decided it needed a break and I parked it at beginning of trail and walked in....to sort out best path...10yrds to my right in a patch of 8ft high dogwood brush..a commotion arose ...Great[&:]...thought I bumped a deer until it burst out of the brush on a dead run infront of me...a BEAR....ears peeled back and head low and stretched out...his ears were pretty centered so young.......Went to my stand and climbed in for a bit...heart in throat...looked down and at the corner of the stand on the ground is a fresh gleaming pile of bear dung!...Any how I went back started cutting until little buckthorn tore up my string...about 2/3 trail done ...I parked it in brush and headed to camp...Half hour later I return and as I'm walking down the road I look up and right where I'd mowed stood a 5pt buck staring at me!......You had plenty of time....how are things going?

Return to Best Practices