Do you play handheld games on stand?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
4khorn

Do you play handheld games on stand?

Postby 4khorn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:36 am

I have seen many hunters on tv playing handheld games in their treestand or ground blind. I usually bring one along for the early afternoon lull to keep my mind alert. I imagine this is pretty common but I wanted to get your opinions.

Goose

RE: Do play handheld games on stand?

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:42 am

Guilty, I play on my phone occasionally. Yes it would be better if I didn't, but it passes time and keeps me on stand longer. I don't think its any worse than a book- probably even a little better because of the size.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:57 am

I would if I had one. 

Maybe some day when I upgrade my phone - then I'll have internet access as well and will be able to post on the forum while I'm in stand.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:04 am

I do but only during gun season. I have poker, slots and yahtzee. It helps pass the time and keeps me awake.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:21 am

Never ever ever. Contradicts why im out there. To escape todays type of life. like getting back to basics and enjoying everything around me that god has created. I am guilty of having my cell phone but only for emergencies and the occasional text from whoever is hunting with me at the time.
Venison - the other red meat

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:25 am

No , I watch the woods.
Stump sittin since 1981

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:34 am

I try to focus my senses as best I can for as long as I can.  I want to see the deer asap so I can be prepared to take the shot.  I have sung "99 bottles of beer on the wall" to stay awake though.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:45 am

I'm as guilty as the next, and will play games, text other friends that are hunting, etc, when I'm out there.  As Goose stated, it passes the time a little better, as long as you aren't making a lot of movement.  One bad thing I come across though is that I don't have very good phone reception in the areas I hunt...so it's hit and miss.
QDM!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:28 pm

If this is what you have to do to be able to withstand being forced to wait for game to come along, then why do you hunt in the first place??

Sounds like a quick trip to the game farm would suit your needs far better. Quick, guaranteed action, and then you can be back at your motel room by 10AM and spend the rest of the trip on your Gameboy, rather than having to endure anymore of that excruciatingly boring autumn woods, the unimportant "non-target" wildlife, and those aggravating glaring sunsets. [8|]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:42 pm

I will agree with Woods Walker on this one.  I have never played hand held games on the stand, and I've been in the stand for hours on end...the whole day, even in rain when we've had some bad gun seasons.  Don't get me wrong, I think it would be fun, especially my hand held Yahtzee, but I think my anticipation has me too busy, plus the amount of deer I see anyway.  I never know when a shooter might walk by, so I'd rather not make that extra movement, or risk it.  I suppose playing the game during the gun season would be more "forgiving" as far as the deer catching me off guard, but the bow season, I don't think that would be possible.

Next

Return to Best Practices