Do you play handheld games on stand?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Goose

RE: Do play handheld games on stand?

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:51 am

I have nothing to add to my last post, and I do not feel the need to defend myself as a hunter, observationist (is that even a word?), outdoor enthusiast, or-my most important-conservationist.
I'm taking my cell phone, wadded up underwear, and leaving![;)]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

TwistedX

Postby TwistedX » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:36 am

I text quite often with the people I'm hunting with but dont have games to play plus I enjoy the woods and like to keep movement to a minimum.
Some days you're the dog - some days you're the hydrant.
Anonymous

TwistedX (+)

arpy00

Postby arpy00 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:57 am

During the bow season last year I started to text to my 15 year old son on another stand. It was some of the best conversations we ever had. Yes, while texting I did loose focus on my hunt...but it was great to "see" his hunt through his words. Plus I knew he was safe.

As for games...they are ok once in awhile..but I believe the real entertainment is being in the woods, and watching what is going on (or not going on) around me.

BerkHunter

Postby BerkHunter » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:07 pm

I don't, although i have never heard or thought of doing this.  But i have a good feeling i will be playing a game or two on my cell this year.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Cell phone is on Vibe . No Texting . No games . Just sit there , enjoy nature and daydream ...........
Semper Fi !

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:45 pm

I haven't gotten into the games on my phone, but I do enjoy texting my buddies here and there during the hunt.  It is great to get the updates. 

I really plan to text with Mrs. Patriot this season.....just to make sure she's doing ok.

I'm thinking of bringing my Nintendo Wii into the stand / ground blind with me.  Maybe I could hook up to some wireless internet game site and play Goose in a virtual trophy hunting game.  With a big pair of headphones on, I could crank the sound and the deer wouldn't hear me.[;)]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:18 pm

I don't play games.  Some people posted saying that they played games because they want to pass time.  I guess I spend enough time trying to pass time all week, that when I'm hunting I want time to go slower.  I don't have any problem with people playing games, and it makes me wonder if playing games would help me ignore my stomach rumbling and allow me to stay on stand longer.  I have a super high metabolism, so hunger is a driving force in getting me off stand.  Also, playing a game would be a lot more scent free than me eating on stand.  Some of us are more ADD than others, making sitting still harder for some than others.  If it takes a game to distract ourselves for a while, so be it.  I know I zone out sometimes when things get slow.  Also, moving just two fingers is a heck of a lot better than sitting, standing, sitting, fidgiting with a windicater for amusement, standing back up... you get the point.  I don't see the harm, the point of hunting is to have fun.  Everyone hunts differently, and as long as your safe and ethical, I don't care what you want to do in your stand.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:28 pm

No.

I hunt to get away from such technology. I bring my phone for safety and to keep in contact with other hunters.
I love just sitting there, waiting for the woods to wake up. I love being out there. If I was playing with such devices, I would really feel foolish if a nice buck stepped out and I was'nt ready for it.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:42 am

I did say I play games, but I guess I do more texting to see how my other fellow hunters are doing, rather than playing games.  I agree though hunt4fun, when you're in the woods, you hope that everything slows down and you can just sit and relax.  I'm sure when a lot of us mean pass the time, we didn't mean that we can't wait for it to be done with....Just a figure of speech more than anything.  Happy hunting!
QDM!

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:03 am

There sure have been a lot of varying opinions on the subject. I like the idea of texting my buddies to see what they are seeing. I have not done much of this but may try to do it a bit more this season. It would be interesting to see the ages of those who say they play game and text versus those who don't. I bet that most who do not are older hunters, who were introduced to hunting in a much different way and a much different time than hunters are today. Some of you probably started before there were compound bows, and when just seeing a deer on stand was an accomplishment in itself. To all of you I just want to say that I respect you and don't blame you one bit for trying to seperate yourself from technology while in the deer woods. After all, the woods is one of the few places left where one can truly get away from it.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices