Hunt more = happy wife?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Patriot

Hunt more = happy wife?

Postby Patriot » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:37 am

Hey y'all,
After 11+ years of marriage, I found out how to hunt more and actually have my wife say thank you.....and mean it.

Here's what I did.  I hope it may help you as well.

#1 - Mrs. Patriot mentioned she would like to hunt, so I got her a bow for Christmas.  We have been shooting in our yard, and I have done my best to be patient (not my strong suit).  She is doing great by the way!  I'm so impressed with her.

#2 - We have already laid out the dates we / I will hunt this season.  Our spot is 3 hours away, so we need to plan our weekends carefully. 

#3 - I have a great friend that I also will bring out to the farm, but Mrs. Patriot only wants it to be her and I hunting.  To remedy this, I picked one weekend in October and 2 days during the first week of November where it will be just my buddy and I.  The rest of the time is just the wife and I.  Planning it out well in advance will eliminate any kind of conflict during the season.

#4 - Got Mrs. Patriot a scent lok jacket (just like mine) and a nice pair of rubber insulated boots for her birthday.  This way she knows I'm serious about wanting her to hunt with me.....which I am. 

#5 - She is kinda scared of heights, so we spent quite a bit of time making some natural ground blinds and setting up some Covert ground blinds as well.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Woods Walker

RE: Hunt more = happy wife?

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm working the same angle, but it's with my daughter. My wife doesn't mind hunting per se, but she:

1. Doesn't like getting up early.

2. Doesn't like being cold.

3. WILL NOT use "nature" for her ladies room anymore (she did when younger)

This kinda rules out most hunting! So my daughter, who I had shooting a bow and a .22 (rifle and pistol) when she was 8, expressed an interest to me this summer while home from college, that she wanted to learn to shoot a shotgun at moving targets, and she wants to bird hunt, especially over dogs. She made me one happy dad!  I got her some skeet lessons, and she even shot some sporting clays with us, and she is hooked.

This winter we'll try the hunting part. She also went with me on Father's Day to a 3-D shoot with my old 37# recurve that I taught her to shoot, and she had a great time. Whether this will lead to her bowhunting remains to be seen, but at the minimum the guy who may marry her one day owes me a great big THANK YOU if he hunts!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:34 pm

Hunt more = happy wife?...You bet ! and Mr. B. has gotten very good at the delayed dinners ...crock pot ...casseroles and frozen dinners that are a big part of my bow season....He's even gotten use to my not coming in until way after dark when I've had to sit tight for deer to move off...though they got me a cell phone...[;)]

smitty

Postby smitty » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Heck yeah, I love taking my wife hunting.  Last year, when I was home on leave from iraq,  of course I went to the bow shop to pick up some stuff and I asked my wife if she wanted a bow.  Well we talked about it for a few days and decided to go get one.  Well long story short,  instead of getting her a scent-loc jacket and boots, I overnighted her a left handed Diamond, Black ICE.  She is a freakin' EXCELLENT  shot.  A little scary at first,  but we love to hunt together!
"Freedom Isn't Free"

TwistedX

Postby TwistedX » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:29 pm

Woods Walker,
Whats your daughters number im in college too. Just kidding! Im taken, I have a problem getting to hunt without upsetting the girl friend so I plan to hunt when she has class and when she is working. I work at a butcher shop that caters to college kids so the hours are super flexible! Lucky me.
Some days you're the dog - some days you're the hydrant.
Anonymous

TwistedX (+)

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:58 pm

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Hunt more = happy wife?...You bet ! and Mr. B. has gotten very good at the delayed dinners ...crock pot ...casseroles and frozen dinners that are a big part of my bow season....He's even gotten use to my not coming in until way after dark when I've had to sit tight for deer to move off...though they got me a cell phone...[;)]

msbadger,
Mr. B does not hunt? 

Ohh.....and of course my original comments above relate to spouses....since obviously several of our forum friends are women.[;)]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:56 pm

I wish my 'wife' would be like that.  She's a city girl all the way...I've asked her time and time again about going out with me and has no desire.  LOL  But, she doesn't put any limits down on when and how much I can hunt, so no complaints!
QDM!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:02 pm

HA! Just wait until you get married...then all the rules change!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:14 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

HA! Just wait until you get married...then all the rules change!

So I hear...LOL!  I can see it already...As I've said, she doesn't complain much, but case in point we've been together for almost 6 years and just last year she started questioning me my all-day hunts on Thanksgiving day.  But, I guess I can kind of see where she is coming from!!  [8|]
QDM!

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Hey Patriot,
  So far mine has taken up turkey hunting with me. This late winter she announced she wanted to go out with me. She already has more camo than most men cause she would come out deer hunting to sit and watch. So she took the hunter saftey course and aced that. Alas, no turkeys came in close for her this spring but she's looking to fall season. On her 870 all we have to do is change the choke tube and possibly she will try deer hunting too.
  The gist of it is involve the wife, and you get out more.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

Next

Return to Best Practices