Hunt more = happy wife?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
cutngut85

RE: Hunt more = happy wife?

Postby cutngut85 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:10 am

The wifey does not hunt at all....but I do wish she did. She goes trout fishing in the spring and loves the outdoors, just not into hunting. I can't complain though because she lets me hunt as much as I can and I go to VA for a week every year without her and she's cool about that. I think she would enjoy it, just got to get her to take that first step!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:14 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

I wish my 'wife' would be like that.  She's a city girl all the way...I've asked her time and time again about going out with me and has no desire.  LOL  But, she doesn't put any limits down on when and how much I can hunt, so no complaints!

Sounds like my wife - she's real good about not having me around during hunting season.  Not so good when I want to do farm visits the rest of the year and not hunting, but we've worked out compromises and she puts up with me.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:23 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

HA! Just wait until you get married...then all the rules change!

So I hear...LOL!  I can see it already...As I've said, she doesn't complain much, but case in point we've been together for almost 6 years and just last year she started questioning me my all-day hunts on Thanksgiving day.  But, I guess I can kind of see where she is coming from!!  [8|]

Just you wait...they spend the first 6 months/years with you for who you are, and then after the "I DO", they spend the rest of their life trying to change you! [:D]

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:12 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

HA! Just wait until you get married...then all the rules change!

So I hear...LOL!  I can see it already...As I've said, she doesn't complain much, but case in point we've been together for almost 6 years and just last year she started questioning me my all-day hunts on Thanksgiving day.  But, I guess I can kind of see where she is coming from!!  [8|]

Hmm, I've been married 18 years and I guess I'm lucky that my wife loves deer meat! She's a city girl all the way too but anytime I can put deer meat in the freezer versus beef she is extremely happy. I have two boys the oldest turning 12 next month and he doesn't know it yet but this year he is officially becoming my full time hunting partner when we hunt on the Public land near our home. He still won't be able to make all the camp trips because of school but I'll take him as often as I can.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:34 am

Patriot...Mr. B hunts...but not big into it...he fishes...actually We've been in the market for an Island camp in Canada...
He refuses to Bow hunt..so I taught the kids to bow hunt....he does'nt turkey hunt much either...his Dad never got into it but they use to raise and train Irish setters as bird dogs and he grew up and worked at a nearby gun club...He enjoys the camp setting more than I...We work off each other in that respect...There's not a guy at work that does'nt know how much I hunt or whats in the food plots...lol...not sure if it's bragging or complaining...lol [;)]....I just remind him of how much I HATE to shop and how lucky he is...[:)]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:46 am

Heres a secret....bring over someone your wife ..well doesn't care for....before hand tell him to mention hunting and drop a few lines like woman don't hunt because the aren't as good a shot under pressure ..don't have the stanima for the long sits and bugs....wouldn't be able to handle the gutting...any thing you might know would tweek your wife....woman are very competative creatures..." The Great White Hunter" stopped by our house(nieghbor guy) one day 11 yrs ago...he said some things about why woman shouldn't bow hunt.... and that week I borrowed a bow and never looked back...He use to drive to our house to show off his big deer ...until one year I drove to his house with mine...He's never been back...[;)]

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:58 am

ORIGINAL: stormshooter4

Hey Patriot,
So far mine has taken up turkey hunting with me. This late winter she announced she wanted to go out with me. She already has more camo than most men cause she would come out deer hunting to sit and watch. So she took the hunter saftey course and aced that. Alas, no turkeys came in close for her this spring but she's looking to fall season. On her 870 all we have to do is change the choke tube and possibly she will try deer hunting too.
The gist of it is involve the wife, and you get out more.

It's a win-win situation.  My wife also is a Certified Basic Archery Instructor for our NASP / Centershot ministry at church.  Just one more thing we can do together.[:)]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:02 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Patriot...Mr. B hunts...but not big into it...he fishes...actually We've been in the market for an Island camp in Canada...
...There's not a guy at work that does'nt know how much I hunt or whats in the food plots...lol...not sure if it's bragging or complaining...lol [;)]....I just remind him of how much I HATE to shop and how lucky he is...[:)]

If you ever become single, you'll have all the single D&DH Geeks knocking down your door with proposals.[:D][:D]

Speaking of that, I better watch my back.  buckhunter21 might have it in for me....

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:30 am

I guess I'm a lucky guy too. My wife grew up in a hunting family, and it wasn't until we got married 9 years ago that I started hunting. We go to my brother-in-laws in Maine for Thanksgiving every year and she will get out to the tree stand with me. One thing she tells me is that she's knows I work hard all year long and that "this is your time of the year". We do alot of family things during the rest of the year but when deer season comes along she knows that I'm in the woods. I also get "props" from her when I take our 8 year old daughter to the stand after school or on weekends. My little one has already helped track, drag and dress a deer when she was 6. Some wives see the time you spend with your kids walking through the woods as bonding time, and the kids love being with Dad and/or Mom doing something "grown up" that alot of other children don't do.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:32 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

ORIGINAL: msbadger

...There's not a guy at work that does'nt know how much I hunt or whats in the food plots...lol...not sure if it's bragging or complaining...lol [;)]....I just remind him of how much I HATE to shop and how lucky he is...[:)]

If you ever become single, you'll have all the single D&DH Geeks knocking down your door with proposals.[:D][:D]

Speaking of that, I better watch my back.  buckhunter21 might have it in for me....

Man, you are a funny guy!

Well, the 'wife' and I have been together for 6 years now....We're not married, but I don't see anything changing once we say the 'I DOs.'  She's the best girl a hunting guy could ask for!
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices