Hunt more = happy wife?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
msbadger

RE: Hunt more = happy wife?

Postby msbadger » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:39 pm

Ha Ha ha...I highly doubt that....I still can't believe Mr. B's put up with me for 30 years...besides I'm old enough to be many of you guy's mother!...[;)]

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:21 pm

I guess Im one of the lucky ones too. My girlfriend and I found each other over 2 years ago. She had just started shotgun hunting the year before. Now like the rest of you D&DH isnt just a passion its a sickness! Soo of course I took her out the first year. Our second year together I took her out target shooting and I found out that she was a pretty decent shot. Then she expressed interest in bows after listening to me talk about it with such enthusiasm. So when she graduated college I got her a nice Martin Leopard with all the fixins. Wouldnt you know that her very first 6 shots were a nice 4 inch group! I was amazed. Now after hunting with me and her natural shooting ability she gets more and more excited about hunting season. The first several days of bow season this year I will be by her side helping her get her first deer ever. I really cant think of sharing a better moment outside of marriage and kids. I almost think im looking forward to it more than her cause we all know what that first deer was like for all of us. A trully unforgetable moment/memory and I cant wait to be part of it!
Venison - the other red meat

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:27 am

I doubt my wife would hunt if her life depended on it.  She knows how good venison & turkey tastes and how good it is for you, but she couldn't deliver the shot for any reason.  I tolerate her equestrian obsession and she doesn't fuss about my hunting & enjoying my hockey season tickets (Go Hurricanes!).  When we first got together, she was more worried about what I was doing than I was. It was like she had a stopwatch on me & if I was 3 minutes late, it gave her license to b!%&h. 

I remembered that she rode & showed horses as a kid, so I found a schooling barn where she could get back into it.  That may have been the smartest thging I've ever done, it may also be the stupidest thing I've ever done.  First, she had to get her own horse, as the schools horse she wanted to ride might already be out or just cooling down from being ridden.  With that comes lessons, tack, clothes, a trailer to get the horse to shows, then she was using my hunting truck to pull the trailer. On to eventing competitions all over the place. Of course, I'd whole lot rather have her riding her horse's @$$ than mine. Just sayin'

To be fair, she has won horse of the year with her horse for the entire state three times, and together they have wons shows from Georgia up to Virginia.  She even won tops in their region and has been nationally ranked for years. You don't get that good without LOTS of practice. She spends hours at that farm & even more time at competitions.

Now, I should be the clock watcher, but I know how miserable that was when it was happening to me & it didn't accomplish much back then, it won't now.

I pretty much come & go at will, because she can't say a thing.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

coach

Postby coach » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:52 pm

more hunting......happy wife.   I never thought I would see those two in the same phrase.

First wife.....more hunting  =  divorce.
I must of been doing something wrong.

Second wife...i'm alot smarter now...I introduced deer sausage and Kabosa to the kids and wife.
They love it.  They want more of it.  I hurry and eat all of it.  Now we are out.  WIfe says..." when are you making more."   I said as soon as shoot another.  She can't wait for October 1st.   But ...do you think I will shoot the first nice buck I see.  NOPE.  That means the end of the hunt.
So its always...the deer was too far...didn't have a clean shot.....raining too much...ect.

So far it works.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:17 am

Hahaha pretty funny there coach! hope your plan keeps working for ya. Guess im lucky with mine liking to hunt. But shes not a die hard. 10 days out last year, But of course if its daylight and im not at work im in the woods and shes ok with it.
Venison - the other red meat

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:45 am

Tru dat coach.  Well played.[:D]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Previous

Return to Best Practices