Need Some Advice

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
New2Georgia13

Need Some Advice

Postby New2Georgia13 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:03 pm

As you can tell from the name im new to Georgia. I moved to Hinesville in March, spent a total of 2 months then left to play in the big sandbox. I grew up in Pa and hunted and fished since i was old enough. Its what i love to do so im looking for any advice on public hunting areas that arent too crowded ( i know people dont like to give up the good spots), best time to go during the season, or anything like that. Im open to any kind of advice to get me back in the groove again. Thanks.

rthomas4

Re: Need Some Advice

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:47 pm

If you are in Hinesville, and still active military, you have access to some of the best hunting in coastal Georgia, right there on Fort Stewart! Also, there used to be a state WMA near the area, I believe it was close to the Midway-Sunbury-Richmond Hill area, on the Ogeechee River. There is also a Federal WMA near Savannah, on the Savannah River.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

New2Georgia13

Postby New2Georgia13 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:04 am

I've read somewhere about hunting on post, ill just have to wait till i get back and find out more about it and ill see if i could find that WMA. Thanks for the help.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:58 am

There is a base agency that can hook you up with the hunting on the facility, as well as loaner guns, camping equipment, and boating and fishing gear. They will provide maps and all you need to hunt on base. I believe it's called recreational services or something along those lines. Of course it's been many years since I lived in Hinesville..........I was the first manager of the original KFC when it was built. There was a Pizza Inn, a Dairy Queen, and a couple of local places when we built the KFC. Everything else came several years later. The last time I was down there was when I worked for Advance Auto Parts here in SC and had to attend a manager's meeting at the store in Hinesville. It's not the same place these days!!!!!!!!!! I lived out towards Walthourville and had some private land to hunt when I lived down there.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to Best Practices