Cold WX Hunting: Staying Warm and Dry

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
First_Gen

Cold WX Hunting: Staying Warm and Dry

Postby First_Gen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Background: I get cold easily (my only weakness :)). Nothing medically wrong with me, it just happens. This year in particular, I am going to be in a ghillie and mobile. So extra bulk need not follow. My biggest concern is my hands. I previously have just toughed it out with a thin glove for my hand mobility to effectively employ my release. The problem is that's dangerous, I am starting to hunt furthur away from people and places and I'd hate to paint myself in the proverbial corner. What do you recommend to use so I can feel my release? Waterproof would be an extra benefit...

Speaking of waterproof/weather proof, any advice for keeping dry when cold, for the same criteria above? I have thought of a system (which I think is pretty kick ass) of using neoprene. I found a neoprene hoodie online and a pair of neoprene stocking foot waders. It makes sense: thermals, mid layer, then outer layer, neoprene, ghillie. I am not worried about the waders leaking, but I'm not sure how much the sweat shirt would take, I keep thinking it might be similar to a wet suit type idea. It costs about $130 bucks. Waders, your talking $60 to $80. New pair of bigger converse, $30-40. Way cheaper than goretex, compartively. Quiet, all weather, warm, mobile, and concealed would be a deadly combination. Any one have any experience using neoprene as a weather blocker? I know if I'm warm...any one else will be.

I could be crazy (I've heard worse) but just wanted to gather thoughts/experince/wisdom on the matter of staying warm and dry in the woods.

What do you do?

Woods Walker

Re: Cold WX Hunting: Staying Warm and Dry

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:13 pm

For your hands it's simple...A HAND MUFF! For really cold days just put a handwarmer in it. I don't even carry heavy gloves anymore. Just a thin pair of wool or fleece gloves and the hand muff.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:26 pm

I'm on of those naturally cold blooded people too.

I agree with Woods Walker and use a hand muff as well.

My experience with neoprene is it doesn't keep me warm when sitting still. It is warm if your moving, but often to the point of making me sweat, and as soon you stop moving, your not only cold, but wet and cold. But, I've never used it as an outer layer. Due to it's clinginess I've always used it as a base layer. I tend to like a base layer of under armour and then several layers of loose clothing.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

First_Gen

Postby First_Gen » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:27 am

Big Horse wrote:I'm on of those naturally cold blooded people too.

I agree with Woods Walker and use a hand muff as well.

My experience with neoprene is it doesn't keep me warm when sitting still. It is warm if your moving, but often to the point of making me sweat, and as soon you stop moving, your not only cold, but wet and cold. But, I've never used it as an outer layer. Due to it's clinginess I've always used it as a base layer. I tend to like a base layer of under armour and then several layers of loose clothing.

Thanks WW! I looked into them and will pick one up soon.

Big Horse, I will keep that in mind. If worse comes to worse, I will have an extra pair of waders for fishing through the winter, if I decide to try out my system.

Return to Best Practices