After the 'harvest'.....

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
69Viking

RE: After the 'harvest'.....

Postby 69Viking » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:57 am

After I kill the deer I'll quickly gut it and skin it and then we have the luxury of a walk in cooler at our camp so we'll let it hang in there over night or until the end of our stay at the camp when we quarter it and then pack it in the coolers to take it home. I'm still working on my plan for the hunting I'll be doing on Public land close to my house this year. I'll have to gut, skin it and quarter it pretty quick to get it into a cooler here in NW Florida, it's almost always pretty warm unless it's at night or early morning. I have found that the 120 qt. coolers I have for fishing come in handy for cooling down deer meat!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:17 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Good point WW...These are my thoughts exactly.  We have the opener coming up here in WI, and the highs are supposed to be in the mid to upper 70s [X(].  I don't have access to a big enough freezer or fridge to quarter it, so if I was to 'harvest' a deer, I'd prob. have to cut it up then and there...Which isn't the best for the meat versus letting it hang, but you have to run with what you have when it's that warm!

bh21,
Just give your buddy Patriot a call and he'll help you butcher it out!

I shot my buck on opening day of the archery season last year.  With temps in the 60's, my father in law and I butchered the deer all up that night.  I did let the meat sit out a little while to cool off before wrapping in freezer paper before the end of the night.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:22 am

Keep your phone close on Saturday! :)
QDM!

Skinner Creek Stalkr

Postby Skinner Creek Stalkr » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:04 pm

I was hunting a hot 86 degree day last fall and ran into the good fortune of harvesting a yearling doe. However, it was deadly hot outside. I told a friend about my delema and he suggested I contact a local bear hunter that had a walk in cooler. For $10 I was able to hang my doe for two days and never had to worry about spoilage. It never hurts to ask around your neighborhood. Because with one little phone call and a few dollars I was able to keep my venison fresh and aged. Hope this helps.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:29 am

While hunting in upstate NY last year it was in the 70's for the whole week. One of the guys in camp shot a doe and when we got it back to camp the blowflies were everywhere. He ended up dousing the doe with black pepper and that seemed to keep the flies away. We also hosed the meat down quickly and quartered and bagged her up and into a big cooler with ice.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

Osty

Postby Osty » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:47 pm

Putting in my 2 cents in.

I've hunted in North Carolina the past 6 years before moving.  During October-December gun season, I hunt with a club using dogs to push the deer and limited to buckshot only.  Some of the hunts the temps range from the 50-70's.  We make 3-5 drives during the day spending about 1-2 hours in a spot.  A deer (gutted out) that is shot sits in a truck bed during the whole day after being registered.  At the end of the day we go back to the clubhouse and skin and cut up the deer into quarters or portions.  "Killers" get the first choice, a hindquarter, until the lucky hunters are done.  Non-killers get next choice.  We rotate through like that until all the quarters of meat are gone.  Well, I usually grind most into hamburger but have experimented cutting the deer up into "steaks" or "stew meat."  I haven't seen any difference in taste even though the deer has been in less than ideal cooling conditions.  I haven't gotten sick nor has my family from this. 

I have packed ice into some of the cavities until the next day when I butcher/grind.  I've also loaded quarters of deer into large coolers and packed those with ice.   Maybe because I grind the meat, don't let it sit without ice, or let it sit any longer during above freezing temps might stop any spoiling or sour tasting meat.   The parts with buckshot might be a different story.

During my early years in Wisconsin, and still today, any deer that I don't take to the butcher right away or the temperture isn't at least well below freezing, I usually put ice in the cavity anyway. 

My advice is if you can't get to butchering right away, in warm weather, at least put the deer on ice. 

Previous

Return to Best Practices