I'd hold out for the big one so long as I thought he was still around.
As for getting him out during the day, it kind of sounds like he is from 6 to 8. Come late October and November, he will be moving more so additional opportunties may present themselves. Like I said, I'd wait until the end of season got near, then maybe take one of the other deer if they meet your goals.
You can always shoot some does while you're waiting.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”