permission to hunt

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
mag30079

permission to hunt

Postby mag30079 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:04 pm

I haven't seen a post on here for how we all go about getting permission to hunt other peoples lands.

I've read afew things on this subject. Dress ok, go by your self, don't go in a group. Tell the land owner you are willing to share your kill with them etc. Some even have business cards that say there a bow hunter on them. I've only asked 1 or 2 people. I got a "ask me next year" and are you nuts, answer.

Whats your ways or.....

Mark

Goose

RE: permission to hunt

Postby Goose » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:36 pm

So far I've been blessed with not having to do a bunch of door knocking. One farm I got permission by working with the guys son and helping out with whatever I could.

If and when I do have to look again Ill post some notes on my churches bulletin board with something like: Responsible Bowhunter willing to work for hunting privileges or something on that order.
Will also go door to door and just come out and ask.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:39 pm

My neighbor has 40+ acres 20 minutes from where we live and I do anything I can to help her out, her help to me, permission to do what I want on her little chunk of woods.  My buddy and I help out a local beef farmer with fences, bailing hay, whatever he needs.  We met him by helping him round up several cows that broke through the fence during a rifle season 15 years ago.  The property was always posted but after we helped him, he allowed us to hunt there and has been a good friend ever since.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:29 pm

You have to develop relationships with landowners.  One place I have permission, the landowner is an older guy that lives alone in a rural place.  Sometimes, it seems like he just wants someone to talk to.  So, once in a while, I'll hunt in the morning and go back to the truck for a quick bite and he comes over to the truck.  Then, what was gonna be a quick lunch turns into a 2 hour BS session.  The privledge of hunting on his land, and the information gleaned in these conversations is well worth an evening hunt.

Another place I have permission, when I cut some trees down in MY yard, I cut up the logs and bigger branches into firewood.  I gave this pile to the landowner.  Now he has 50 times the trees that I do, but he didn't have to cut the firewood.  So, this year, when his son-in-law posted the ground, I went and asked if I could hunt there.  He said yes and now, due to the posting, I have the place almost to myself.  With this guy (who is close to my home) I sort of take care of the place.  I pick up litter from his land and cut some grass on part of it.  Not because he asked me to, I just do it.  I never even told him.  But, when he gave me permission, I felt some responsibility for the area.

I'll tell you, I'm not a real social person, but I always take time to chat with these guys.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:23 am

We own land but don't give permission...the whole family hunts and a couple of very long time friends do....but I've been asked.....things not to do:
 Say.... "I'll help you take some deer off your property"....I don't need help

"I've been hunting this area all my life"....Then you should have bought the land
 Don't get snippy when they say ...Our family hunts it.....because I'll spread the word
 Don't say one word about the area land owners whether you do or don't hunt the property....It all gets back to us...dinners are not a hunters best friend ....if your a ....lets say complainer...

I wish you luck theres always someone that needs help on the their property....some day when I'm much older I will too

John1961

Postby John1961 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:27 pm

I hunt on private property belonging to a family friend on my wife's side. My father and or brother in law  would ask permission and we would rabbit hunt there when we would visit from where ever I was stationed at the time. When we moved here after leaving the Army I asked Bob if he let anyone deer hunt  and he told me that anytime I wanted to hunt I was more then welcome, no need to ask. I do how ever ask permission each and every time I want to scout or put up my stand or offer meat iv I'm lucky that year. 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:00 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

We own land but don't give permission...the whole family hunts and a couple of very long time friends do....but I've been asked.....things not to do:
Say.... "I'll help you take some deer off your property"....I don't need help

"I've been hunting this area all my life"....Then you should have bought the land
Don't get snippy when they say ...Our family hunts it.....because I'll spread the word
Don't say one word about the area land owners whether you do or don't hunt the property....It all gets back to us...dinners are not a hunters best friend ....if your a ....lets say complainer...

I wish you luck theres always someone that needs help on the their property....some day when I'm much older I will too

msbadger thanks for the useful advice.  Being on both sides of the fence and assuming you were open to the idea of someone hunting your land, what do you think the approach should look like?  I think it would be very useful to those of us who don't have your perspective...thanks :)

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:22 am

Well ...look and speak like you have some intelligence....Never assume ie...woman answers door and you ask to speak to husband..[:@]
Be honest..and don't expect something for nothing ....land owners pay ALOT in taxes...not only for our land ..but public hunting land as well...I personaly live near some GREAT public hunting...but because I am lucky/hard working enough to own private..... I don't feel comfortable infringing in areas that I really don't have to.... racks are nice but don't mean much to me......I also don't give permission because of a promise to the farmer that sold the land to us.....13 kids and he chose us over them and said Never say yes...they'er like cockroaches....next thing you know some guy will ask you "what do you think your doing"...on your own land...because it happened to him alot and he loved his land

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:32 am

I think a lot of it has to do with networking and obviously relationship building.

There is usually someone you know...who knows someone with land you can hunt.  Bring it up in casual conversations and plant the seed there.

Regarding going door to door:  obviously you should anticipate "no" more often than not.  Scout out the areas (google maps or whatever) ahead of time or you may end up with permission to hunt a bad spot.

Eberhart's book Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails also has a section on this topic if I'm not mistaken.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:26 am

A short but effective tip:

Neatly fill out an index card with all of your information. Name, vehicle description, plate number, cell, home and work numbers, DNR I.D. number, etc. Anything that a landowner might need to know about you for future refrence. Give it to the landowner when you meet and let them know that you WANT them to contact you any time they have a question. Also let them know that you understand that this permission in for you and you alone. Tell them to only expect your vehicle and that you will not bring out anyone else without express permission.

Next

Return to Best Practices