Need advice! new spot found, but very hard to get to...

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
MI_bowhunter

Need advice! new spot found, but very hard to get to...

Postby MI_bowhunter » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:28 am

I recently found a great spot on public land that I really want to hunt....although I'm not quite sure how to approach it this late in the game.  The area is on the north side of a very large thicket (and I mean thick) and it is surrounded by an overgrown swamp on all other (imagine mangroves of Australia...almost impossible to walk through).  On the west to southwest side is a very nice bedding area.  To the east is a huge oak ridge where they are naturally feeding for the most part.  Curiosity got the best of me so I battled the 50-60 yards of pickers, which I mainly had to crawl through.  Inside I found a few, very worn trails running mainly east to west along the thicket edge and a fresh set of huge tracks (mature buck...which is rare in MI public land). 

This is a very isolated section of the woods and I didn't see a single piece of evidence that suggest anyone has stepped foot in here in quite some time.  All which has me real excited.  However, getting into this area without blowing my cover is next to impossible without a ton of work and creating a trail (which other hunters will undoubtedly find and invade).  The last thing I want to do is put pressure on this area by blazing a trail and open the door for "lazy" hunters. 

Should I bite my lip and wait until next year to hunt this area (so I can create a non discrete trail after the season)?  Go through the swamp with a hand saw and clear a lane from the north and risk driving him nocturnal?  Any advice (which I know is hard without walking the land) would be greatly appreciated!! 

Goose

RE: Need advice! new spot found, but very hard to get to...

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:57 pm

I would find the best route in, as is, and plan on sitting all day. If you only do it a couple of times this year, I think you will be happy that when you do, you have it all to yourself. Maybe you will learn some things and you can adjust for the following year or even later this season.
Best of luck to ya!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:44 pm

If it truely looks as good as it sounds, there is no way I would avoid hunting it. Deer have to be using the thicket as their escape cover, so I would try hunting the downwind fringes to intercept them heading for cover, or coming out to feed. Being a new discovery this close to the season, I wouldn't do much to the landscape until post season after you've had a chance to learn how the deer use the area.

You'll also know by then if other hunters have the thicket staked out as well.
Dave M.

MI_bowhunter

Postby MI_bowhunter » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:08 am

Thanks guys.  I like the idea of going in for an all day hunt one or two times this season (when the wind is right of course).  I will most likely hold off until the leaves start to drop (so i can see better how the deer use this area) and hopefully catch a big boy cruising the downwind side of the thicket looking for hot does. 

Do you think I should battle my way in early (1.5 hrs prior to day break) or wait until first light and try to work my way in as slow and quiet as possible?

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:29 am

Either one! Its kind of a catch 22. I would think it would be best if you beat them to their bed.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:10 pm

Is there an area just leading up to this thick area where you can hunt?  ...Another idea, like you stated, would be to make a trail for yourself into that area.  You'd preferably want to do this early in the year, but it's still early enough in the season you should be fine.  I'd recommend doing this mid-day, and away from any possible trails or sign.  I'm sure deer will eventually see this and start using it themselves though, but this would be the best case if you want to start hunting right away!
QDM!

Return to Best Practices