What do you look for...

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Goose

RE: What do you look for...

Postby Goose » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:25 am

I base a lot of my sets off of past experiences. I also set up a lot of my sets because of spring scouting, you can still see the rubs and scrapes from last fall and the foliage should be pretty similar to our hunting season.
Inside corners are a great spot for a setup-meaning where there is a corner of habitat like a corner of a field, the inside part of the woods can be a killer spot because the deer will cut that corner.
Anywhere two types of habitat meet like a marsh meeting hardwoods or hardwoods meeting conifers can also be great spots to catch deer cruising (studies have shown that these types of edges are where the most rubs are).
Creek crossings can be great and fairly easy to locate.
I would say that most of my sets are there due to past observations.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:38 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

I base a lot of my sets off of past experiences. I also set up a lot of my sets because of spring scouting, you can still see the rubs and scrapes from last fall and the foliage should be pretty similar to our hunting season.
Inside corners are a great spot for a setup-meaning where there is a corner of habitat like a corner of a field, the inside part of the woods can be a killer spot because the deer will cut that corner.
Anywhere two types of habitat meet like a marsh meeting hardwoods or hardwoods meeting conifers can also be great spots to catch deer cruising (studies have shown that these types of edges are where the most rubs are).
Creek crossings can be great and fairly easy to locate.
I would say that most of my sets are there due to past observations.

Yessss......inside corners and habitat edges (especially where it's concealed well) can be counted on as consistent hot spots.

I would add ridge saddles to these also. They are usually full of sign ANYWHERE you hunt large game, from Midwest whitetails to Rocky Mountain elk.

If I'm going into an area for the first time, one of the preliminary things I first look for on the topos and aerial photos are ridge saddles. I will scout them first.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:38 pm

Great info here. Thanks.
This is the first year I've had to find my own spots so I'm a little unsure about my stand placement. I know it's really late in the WI. season to be hanging stands but that is what we spent this past weekend doing. Just want to say that my plan is to not go out til the end of October so the areas will hopefully have enough time to settle down.
Usually I am set up on the edges of fields or in the woods no more than 20 yards cuz I get creeped out in the dark. I decided to suck it up and go further in the woods this year.
We placed one stand in a cedar thicket(?) with a small open area in front of me with the cedar swamp on the other side of the opening. I have 2 trails coming from the swamp, one on the left other on the right. There is a big cedar behind me for cover.
The next stand we placed 20 yrds from an apple tree that is on the edge of a reforestation field. There is a well used trail 10 yards in front of me going from the swamp on my right to the apple tree on my left. I'm closer than i would like to be to that trail but the choice of trees was slim. There is also a slight trail on my right running perpendicular to the main trail.
The stand I am most excited about is in the area where our hardwoods, cedar swamp and a thick bedding area of bushes meet. I am hoping this will be a productive spot during the rut. It's a bit open but hopefully they will be too busy to notice me[;)].
One more thing I did was rake a path to each of these stands so I could get in as quietly as possible.

We also put up a 2 man ladder stand and a tripod overlooking our reforestation field for gun season.

A few things I learned this weekend....
1. There is never a tree exactly where you need it to be
2. The mosquitos are absolutely horrendous no matter how much you douse yourself in OFF. And...
3. You CAN spend too much time with your spouse!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:12 am

Sounds like your off to a good start. If those stands don't pan out, you should at least be able to observe from them, and that will be your biggest asset in the future. When you see deer doing something, always ask yourself why they are doing that, or throw it at us DDH geeks[;)]
From what you explained, I will agree with you on your most promising set.
Best of luck!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:45 pm

As Goose stated, sounds like you have it figured out...and experience is your best asset...Well, besides all the Geeks here on the forum!!!!  I've sat in plenty of stands that I thought would be dead on, then find out that they aren't and that they use them more at night than anything...And on other notes, I've also sat in stands where I thought wouldn't produce much but turned into honeyholes!!! 

Best of luck, and keep us posted!
QDM!

Previous

Return to Best Practices