Doe hunting

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
sbertram87

Doe hunting

Postby sbertram87 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:04 am

Hi i plan to hit bow hunting hard from day one until it gets to cold out there. I would like to know if any one has called does in early season(early season is mid september, to mid october)? If so what type of calls have you used and how often have you called, etc? More tips the better. I have done some online reading and have not found a whole lot.
Thanks

passin through

RE: Doe hunting

Postby passin through » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:14 am

A fawn bleat works well very early.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:33 pm

I've not had a lot of luck calling does.  Some respond others don't, just depends on their mood at the time I guess.

I've had some luck with the can, some luck with other doe bleat type calls.  I've tried fawn bleats and most just look in my direction then move on. 

The one thing I have used that seems to work consistantly is a camera flash.  I don't know if it's because we put cameras over a feeder after the season is over, and they've been conditioned to come to flash for food, or if it's just curiosity.

My advice, try them all, and don't give up if something doesn't work the first time.  It might work the next.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

sbertram87

Postby sbertram87 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:13 am

hi thanks for the info i will try it. Any one else out there please add you imput here so i can better call in does
thanks

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:19 pm

If you scout thoroughly and use the wind to your advantage, you probably won't need to call does in.  I'd rather take deer when they were just going about their regular routine. Anytime you call to does, they come in alert looking for something. Does are already high-strung enough for my taste. I'd prefer a shot on a relaxed animal versus one that is on edge. 

Bleat calls work well at attracting, but I have seen does come in fired up & ready to fight to a bleat.  To each his own though.  If it works for you, good deal.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:18 am

I've heard of the vocalization called a fawn bawl.  I saw it in some hunting video a while back and dont remember much about it other than they had does running in to them all day long.  I've never used it but it looked very effective.  It sounds kind of like long whine a baby would make.  Maybe you can find something on it if you google it or youtube it.  Good luck.
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:13 am

I called a doe in last year during pre-season scouting with a young doe estrous can call. She was out about 150 and I called her in to about 40 yards. My suggestion would be getting a young doe or fawn bleat for early season into October. Can calls are pretty fool proof and really easy to use.

Just from what I observed last year on stand calling "blind" or when your not sure if anything is around when you call, doesn't work too well, at least for me. I tried it numerous times and it never worked. I'm not blaming it on the call, I know I probably called to often, I do believe calling too much makes deer suspicious, but never called anything in blind, if your bored on stand and you want to try to call something in, go for it, I will probably do that this year again, just not anywhere near as often as I did last year. The majority of my calling for bucks or does will be when I see one, or hear a deer in the woods. Good luck hopefully you have a great season!!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

sbertram87

Postby sbertram87 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:34 am

hi everyone thanks for all the help and ideas so far please keep more coming

SwampFox

Postby SwampFox » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:36 am

A fawn bleat works pretty well.  I have seen "the can" by primos bring doe's running in all day long.  They do come in pretty wound up though.

sbertram87

Postby sbertram87 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:42 am

hi swampfox thanks for the info good luck this year

Next

Return to Best Practices