Doe hunting

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Dan Schmidt

RE: Doe hunting

Postby Dan Schmidt » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:17 am

The Primos team has had excellent success with fawn distress call during the first few weeks of bow season. It works on a doe's maternal instinct. However, that being said, the does usually respond in a frenzied state, which makes getting shots off a trick in itself. Keep us updated with your progress!

Best,
Dan

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:35 am

A couple years ago I saw a doe heading into the swamp for the day.  I used my fawn in distress call and it pulled her back into the field I was hunting over. 

Sadly, some coyotes also responded to the call, came running, and spooked away my doe. 
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

TwistedX

Postby TwistedX » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:32 pm

I Agree with everything that has been said but i have seen a set of rattling antlers lightly touched together almost like tickling them just to make it sound like two bucks are playing to raise their curiousity... i works on occaision.
Some days you're the dog - some days you're the hydrant.
Anonymous

TwistedX (+)

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:45 pm

I have also seen where a fawn in distress call will call in a doe, but it seems to make them very jumpy, and probably very hard to get a shot at with a bow.  If you end up calling in a coyote... good, shoot that, and it will help save more animals in the long run.

Previous

Return to Best Practices